1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Monsoon drive to the South

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by johnny, Aug 1, 2012.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @saurav & @punto_emotion,
    Thanks

@ganges,
    That is an interesting question that you have posed.
    After the GC upgrade, the car feels pretty much like an SUV (only in terms of ground clearance). I did some pretty bad roads in Waynad, Kerala on this trip. Did not scrape bottom even once. The best part is that the GC upgrade has not affected the handling & dynamics of the car.

In terms of driving comfort, I will compare it to a Toyota Corolla which I drove extensively in Thailand. In my earlier WagonR, you felt fatigued after about six hrs of driving. The longest stretch I have done in my Punto was when I drove back to Greater NOIDA last time. The leg was from Ahmedabad to Greater NOIDA. The distance was about 980 kms. However, we got jammed from Jaipur to Delhi, and the trip took about 18 hrs! It was tiring, but manageable.

With the 1.3 MJD, you can cruise all day at speeds 100 to 120 without any strain showing on the engine. In short, it is the car for highway driving.

Regards
    Johnny
    3 people like this.
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well the increased ground clearance is surely a bliss on Indian roads! I have driven my 2012 Punto, with 5 people on board with @ 80 kgs load in the boot. Was really worried but I did not scrape even a single road hump! :clap During that drive, thought came to my mind as to what would have been the scenario in case I was driving a Figo ::V

And yeah, regarding highway cruising. Well well! What else can be said! That is the beauty of this gem of an engine from FIAT!
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks jhonny sir for the breif:-its great to see/hear when punto is compared with sedan's ;)
  4. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Thanks for the help in deciding the GC upgrade. Its a boon now that wifey has taken over the Punto as her daily drive.

Fantastic travelogue here! Tip my hat off to you and mam!! Keep yourself free for the Chamba drive coming up - Varoon thinks he is getting married (was it Oct or Nov end??); he doesn't realise what he's getting into by inviting us there (I'm keeping you two out of this)! :)
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks NK. I personally feel that anyone who plans to do long drives on the Punto must do the GC upgrade.

Our drive was good fun.

The proposed wedding better be in Oct end - that is what Varoon had indicated. We are not free in end Nov.

I agree; Varoon definitely needs "help" from you guys on this point.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Thankq Johnny sir for the fantastic travelogue.... and congrats for the successful completion of the trip.

I have a question to all.. might me a silly question... but I have no idea on this.

How many Km / hours can we drive continuously without switch off the car or when should we give break to our car in a long drive..?????

Sreejith
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I personally think that the break is required more for the driver. I think that the car can carry on till the fuel finishes, especially if you are driving at reasonable speeds.

I try and take a short break every three hrs or so. This is important if you are the only person driving, as in my case. Without taking such breaks, fatigue can creep up, and can cause accidents.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Our highway tolls give us a compulsory break within 3 hours. Many of them have small tea shops on the side for a short break:D
    1 person likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good point. However, what I must emphasize is that a 'break' must include getting out of the car, and walking around or stretching your legs - this is important. A cup of tea/coffee would be a great value addition.

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.