1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Monsoon drive to the South

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by johnny, Aug 1, 2012.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We (wife & I) had been in Mumbai since mid April - we drove from Greater NOIDA in the Punto. The idea was to help our daughter with her delivery, and maybe do some sightseeing if situation permits. A drive to Goa was high on the priority list. As things turned out, our grand daughter was born mid June, and with the monsoons having set in, Goa was off the list, as advised by my friend who stays in Goa.

Now with the situation having stabilsed, we were planning to return by end July to Greater NOIDA. Then I got a brainwave. We were already halfway down; so why not do a South India tour? The first negative that popped up was: South India & monsoons - not a good idea. So, I decided to seek expert advice. I PM'd our experienced 'road-warrior' - JRavi. He gave an immediate and encouraging response. So, I decided to move ahead. Thanks, JRavi for the encouragement.

Then, I made a rough outline and started the next phase - selling the idea to the wife. Initial response was as expected - NO. Then, gradually my salesmanship worked, and it was a GO.

Then got the car checked out and topped up with oils etc. Tata Worli did a good job. Then, using Google maps, I started planning in earnest. This meant making the route in small chunks - this was one of the conditions, booking hotels etc. I must sat Google maps is a great aid, more accurate that Eicher or MMI.

The final itinerary was:
    Mumbai - Hubli & night halt
    Hubli - Tumkur & night halt
    Tumkur to Mysore with two nights for some sight seeing
    Mysore - Alwaye vis Kozhikode with two nights at Alwaye
    Alwaye - Trivandrum with two nights halt
    Trivandrum - Kanyakumari with night halt
    Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram with night halt
    Rameshwaram - Velankanni with two nights stay
    Velankanni - Nammakal with night halt
    Nammakal - Tumkur with night halt
    Tumkur - Belgaum with night halt
    Belgaum - Mumbai.
    Stay a few days in Mumbai & then drive back to Greater NOIDA

We started on 31 July, and today we are at Tumkur.Some general observations:

From South Bombay, the exit for Pune is not well marked. Look for the sign that shows 'Navi Mumbai' to the right. You then have to take a flyover that crosses the Eastern Expressway from the left to the right.

The Mumbai - Pune expressway was great. We were doing good speed even in the ghat section despite fairly heavy rain - The Punto GT3 combination just shines under these conditions. No problems with road grip or handling.

The Pune bypass is in a bad shape and took us a while to negotiate.The Pune - Satara stretch is not in such a good shape - the heavy rains seem to have taken its toll on the blacktop surface.

The rest of the road is about as good as it can get - in short, just great. There were two stretches where the road was a two lane, and towards Tumkur, there were quite a few places where repairs were being done with diversions - the surface of these diversions was good, except for an odd speed breaker.

In the Maharashtra segment there are plenty of eating places. After entering Karnataka, the numbers of decent eating places comes down.We are setting out for Mysore tomorrow. I plan to update this post as we go along. Some pictures taken on the way, including a very hilarious sign at a toll booth are attached.

Eating-place.jpg Rain-drive.jpg Rain-drive-2.jpg Toll-sign.jpg With-car.jpg Windmill.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    25 people like this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Enjoy your trip, have a nice time and bon voyage, johnny.
  3. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Johnny Sir...

In ur SOuth Monsoon trip...u r not driving into Malnad region of Karnataka...Surprising!!

Anyways you can back up in Kerala..

I would suggest while you drive back...from B'lore go to Udupi->Karwar and Goa..so that you intersect Karnataka malnad reggion..

I would highlu suggest of Agumbe...probably the second rainiest place in India.....
  4. shams

shams Esperto

have a great trip johnny sir!! thanks for starting the thread enroute!! we would be waiting for updates from you :)
  5. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

nice start to the thread!!..enjoy your tour sir and keep posting!!:D
  6. Congrats for sweet little addition to your family... WOW for your trip...
  7. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Happy Journey and Safe Motoring....enjoy the trip
  8. sungoa2010

Wish you a safe and happy Journey.
  9. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats one great trip you ve planned, and suppose its the apt time too, as many of these coastal regions are just receiving rains and this is the best time to visit the lush green hills and beaches :). I never thought you d be so old (just physically, not mentally :p ) after seeing your posts regularly in ICE section . Young guys like yourself, ravi sir, etc are inspiration for us , reinstating the fact that age is never a barrier for anything if you live with the zeal and vigour, making us look forward to the life with enthusiasm !!

Another friend of mine is also all set to start his ride de kerala in his bike from pune next week. Hope we can catch up here in trivandrum and if you can give us a clear idea when you ll reach here, we can arrange a g2g here and a short drive also if possible. Hooked onto to the thread.
  10. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Great sir.. Wish you the happy and safe journey. By the way its warm welcome to your grand daughter to this beautiful world.
    1 person likes this.