1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Monsoon Dash to Malenad - Jog and Unchalli

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Sep 22, 2014.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    What happens when it gets maddeningly busy at work? Burn out and desperation for a break. That is how this travelogue is born.

With the way how things had turned out the past week at office, the itch to get out for a drive started to become stronger. To add fuel to fire, an article on Jog falls been more inviting this year due to better monsoon caught my attention. Moreover, the visit to a few of these falls have become a yearly affair now. So, I decided it is Jog Falls and Unchalli Falls this year too. I had done the same stretch last year too and here is the link to the older travelogue. The difference this year is, it was not a solo drive. This time it was a bunch of four friends on a short but sweet drive in my Linea.

The Gang

Myself
    Karthik
    - Turbo_karthik
    Goutham - Autocrat
    Raghu - Not a TFI member yet.

As usual, I have a habit of starting at odd times to squeeze the max on a day's drive. The start time was decided as 1.30 am Saturday (20th September 2014). I started at 1.30 am and headed straight to Raghu’s place. Picked him up 2 am on the dot and then it was Karthik’s turn to be picked up. On the way refueled at Shell and picked up Karthik at 2.45 am and then we picked up Goutham who was already waiting for us at 3 am. Took the ring road and headed out towards Gorguntepalya. Our idea was to cruise to Arasikere and stop over for a quick break at the CCD. The journey was filled with loads of chitchat with most things under the sun being discussed. A quick break and a cappuccino to revive us, we were off towards Shimoga. We topped up fuel at one of the IOCL bunks in Shimoga and continued towards Sagara. Since Karthik had already packed breakfast for us, we spotted a nice place along a curve to stop over for the breakfast. Pleasant weather with a slight breeze and a tasty breakfast in the open kept us happy.

At breakfast point
    IMG_5679.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

Nice roads, beautiful curves
    IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5684.JPG

The idea was to drive to Unchalli falls first so headed towards Siddapur. The roads all the way was brilliant and we made good progress. A few kms after the deviation from the Siddapur – Sirsi highway we stopped at a bridge for a break and photo opportunity.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Panaroma - 1.jpg

Continued towards Unchalli falls, there are tonnes of places to stop for photos.

IMG_5727.JPG

The old transformer. Recollect this one from the first trip in 2007

IMG_5728.JPG

Reached Unchalli falls via Heggarne at around 11.20 am. It started raining heavily as soon as we set out towards the falls and we rushed back to ensure our camera equipment do not face the rain fury. After about 20 odd mins, it stopped raining and we set out towards the falls. The fury of the falls was getting louder as we got nearer to the view point. We reached the view point and it was misty and the visibility very little. We hung around for some time and got the splendid view of the falls. However, by the time the camera was ready it was covered with mist again. Raghu wanted to explore further by going to the 2nd view point a few steps below. We decided against it as the steps were very slippery. The bravery award for the trip definitely goes to Raghu.

IMG_5720.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG

20140920_115510.jpg

Way to the view point

20140920_122225.jpg

20140920_122507.jpg

Unchalli Falls covered in mist

20140920_122542.jpg

20140920_122633.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    After spending a good hour, we returned to the parking lot to head back on the same route and visit Jog falls. Goutham did the honors of driving from Unchalli to Jog falls and it was the first time I sat in the rear seat of my Linea. The rains gave company here for most of the distance with the intensity ranging from drizzle to heavy rains. The lush green paddy fields with drizzle/mist were so soothing to the eye.

On the way back

IMG_5733.JPG

The roads steaming

IMG_5738.JPG

The lush green paddy fields

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

Would love to stay at this place amidst the paddy fields

IMG_5743.JPG

Reached Jog falls at 2.30 pm and headed straight to the Mayura hotel for lunch. The lunch turned out disappointing, but with little choice around, we managed to fill our stomachs for the time beings. The place would turn misty and clear in a few mins. It was more like hide and seek. After lunch, we clicked away to glory with cameras.

It was pouring when we turned toward Jog.

20140920_142930.JPG

Jog Falls

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

Panaroma - 2.jpg

It was 4 pm when we left from Jog falls. The drive from here to Sagara was uneventful apart from the regular stop over at the paddy fields along the arrow straight roads after Talaguppa. A few pics here and we continued towards Sagara.

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

We stopped for coffee and snacks at Hotel Varadashree in Sagara. A nice yummy masala dosa + strong coffee rejuvenated us.

20140920_171544.jpg

Railway Line between Sagara and Shimoga

20140920_175144.jpg

After the snacks break, we were cruising leisurely towards Shimoga. Just stopped over once for nature’s call. From here on Goutham took the driver’s seat until Shimoga. Got the car refueled at the same IOCL bunk from where I got back to doing the driver’s duty and continued towards Bangalore crossing the chaotic traffic in the Shimoga city. We realized that we had not stopped at the famous Preethi canteen, so made brisk progress to reach Preethi Canteen around 8 pm. Since it was closing time, no dosas were available. All we got was nice chilli bajjis and coffee to which we did not complain. Since the dinner was still pending, I suggested we stop at the Masala Dhaba a few kms after Kadur. Had an hour long dinner and it was time to hit the roads again. It was well past 10 pm when were started from the Dhaba. It was a nonstop drive from here on until we dropped Goutham at 1.05 am. Returned home after dropped Karthik and Raghu in the same order as they were picked up.

All in all, a wonderful day for a few reasons. Firstly, the friends got together after quite some time, then the drive and the destination. To top it all, the weather gods showered us with the weather we had hoped for.

Trip Stats

Distance covered – 953.9 kms (door to door)

Fuel consumed – 50 liters (approx, yet to do the thankful)

Fuel Cost – 3300 bucks (approx)

Mileage - 19 kmpl

Route

Onward Journey: Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Tarikere – Shimoga – Sagara – Gerasoppa – Siddapur – Heggarne – Unchalli.

Return Journey: Unchalli – Heggarne – Siddapur – Jog – Sagara – Shimoga – Arasikere – Tumkur – Bangalore

Road Condition: Very good roads throughout except for a couple of kms between Birur and Tarikere.

Map.JPG

Definitely, a part of life reclaimed.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Lovely pictures, full of green and nature. Certainly a great weekend to spend.

Jog Falls looks in full force, excellent view and pictures.
    Unchalli falls view point looks empty, lucky you guys.

BTW, what is 'Malenad'?
    nkrishnap likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Malenad in kannada means, the land of hills or hilly area.
    Ravi likes this.
  5. Dann

Dann Novizio

Great writeup Krishna. Loved the photography. Monsoon is the best time to travel the Western Ghats! Hope one day I get the time to do so.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    :finger::finger:Nice Travelogue Krishna. The pics have come out extremely good. Nice way of reclaiming life back. Must admit your enthusiasm for a drive is infectious.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fantastic place and even fantastic travelogue. This is apt time to enjoy Jog, when in full flow.

@Ravi, Malenadu is also interpreted as 'Region of rains'. Mostly it covers portions of Chikkamagalur, Shimoga, Uttara Kannada, Hasan districts...
    nkrishnap and Ravi like this.
  8. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Excellent Krishna . It is always nice to see ones native place through photo-logues/camera . Actually Joga was much more beautiful just couple of weeks back :).
    Paul_Walker and nkrishnap like this.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Wonderful snaps. Nice weather. Particularly the snap wherein clouds seem hung / frozen in the valley of Jog falls is amazing
    nkrishnap likes this.
  10. Paul_Walker

Paul_Walker Novizio

Bengaluru
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice photologue Krishna, this is the best time to visit Jog.
    This is how Jog looks in full force :) . This was during my last year visit.

jog.jpg