1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Money Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    With the stock market heading south wards, any recommendations by experts on the forum which stocks to buy for a term of 1-2 yrs holding? I intend to invest and forget for a couple of years atleast. Or should I continue the usual Mutual Fund route.

FYI, I had already burnt my fingers during 2008 debacle and since then had stayed away. Is this bear run sufficient to reinstill my confidence in stocks.

I have shortlisted few stocks- SBI, Axis Bank, ONGC , Torrent Power, Havells etc. Any other suggestions are most welcome.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Can you guys please brief me about NPS
    Where to start,any age limit
    How is this better than the others
    Benefits in saving tax
    Etc
    What is the maximum limit
    Any lockin period
  3. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks a lot sir
    It answered all queries
    I have to read at least 2 more times to understand
    Has anyone here invested in NPS
    To me the main attraction in that is the additional 50 k rebate in tax over the 1.5l limit
    Thanks
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @ghodlur

It WILL be a brilliant time to invest in stocks with a medium to longterm horizon (more like long term), but imo not yet.

I feel the bear-market has only just begun and there will be both a MUCH further time- and money-correction. So don't hurry! Wait for the pessimism to deepen, the sentiments among both foreign (already bearish) and 'domestic' investors to get much 'bluer', as am certain they will: then buy some blue-chips, perhaps pharma, healthcare and IT? One or three big institurional-PSUs?

Remember: minus food stuffs the world economy is in a very long term deflationary state. India is no exception. i.e., the returns one recieves from even fd-s let alone corporate bonds or tax-free bonds of assorted types is IN REAL TERMS are excellent currently, given the downbeat-ness in all other asset classes including increasingly with stocks: there is no, imo, need to rush into higher-yield/risk assets like stocks. Timing is on (y)our side!

As I said, in bearish and deflationary macroeconomies, you can very well afford and indeed profit greatly by waiting, taking your time. In fact the return on bonds, FD-s etc is, adjusting for longrun non-food disinflation, terrific in india, probably better than anywhere else in the world. Which is surely why the same foreign investors shorting the indian and other stock markets (ex-US) are desperate to get hold of longer-tenure indian public/govt debt.

Of course, that means you/we trust the longterm 'promissory notes' of the Indian govt including its courts, banks and its politicians/parties etc more than say the stock market or builders or 'corporates' etc!?!

cheers
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @prabhjot

I burnt my fingers in 2008 after investing in stocks. Presently re burning them again in this bear market. Leave apart buying, I cannot even sell the shares I have for the huge loss I am incurring. I think it was a big mistake of investing money in stocks.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Godhlur
    Really sorry to hear that.
  8. Aanand

Aanand Amatore

Pune
    Ghodlur,
    It's painful to read your post.
    Hopefully, a careful and detailed study of the data presented by this Financial Adviser from Mumbai may be useful.
    Click on this link:
    http://www.brainpointinv.com/outlook_money/property.htm
    then "Click here" to view the transcript of the entire presentation on Property Invt vs Equity MFs Invt vs Gold Invt.
    In my experience, this presentation has been an 'eye opener' to many.

And, who is the person who presented this data?
    It's the one holding the trophy in the photos at:
    http://www.brainpointinv.com/
    Disclaimer - I have no relationship with this Financial Adviser and his firm. None whatsoever.
    ramjn and Bala like this.