1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Money Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Sep 23, 2010.

1. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks for the info. Let me do some research on this :)
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Day trading won't give returns if you calculate it over a period of times unless you've abundant time and are full time in front of NSE terminal. I did it way back in 2003-04 for a year and by the end of the year when I looked at my long excel with daily transactions, there was no gain. It just gives a kick that you earned few hundred rupees in a day. You'll earn few hundrerrds for 5 days but will lose thousands in 2 days to offset gains.

I even found short term trading (with a horizone of 2 to 6 months) not attractive. But this is purely due to paucity of time as I can't remain in touch with stock market for work demands.

Finally, what I decided and experienced is that to invest in a few blue chips and forget (with a long term horizone of 1/2/3 to 5 years). One won't go wrong usually. This also takes pressure off to remain in touch with stock market which I can't do.

Disclaimer: Though I'm a Gujju, I'm a "dhabba" in the name of Gujju as far as stock markets are concerned !
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    6 people like this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    VP, You are absolutely correct. I just tried DT for some time to know about basics of trading. Then stopped it.
  4. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Any idea about commodity market ?
    Last 3 years silver had given great returns than gold.plan for buying
    Commodities like copper,crude oil,
  5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    @linealover,
    need to check wether silver has given more returns than gold. I have been following silver for the last 2 years. The price of silver depends on a variety of factors unlike gold. Silver is used by many industries and its price falls if there is an economic slowdown. The price of silver rose like anything and went to around 70,000 per kg in 2011 but it struggled to cross the 55,000 mark in 2012 and its around 58,000 now.

I just follow these things out of intrest and not a trader nor an investor yet:)
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Seeing that many good stocks are available at bargain, picked up the following stocks today.
    BHEL @ 198.5
    HDFC Bank @ 625
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now a days I have stopped following individual stocks, and prefer Index ETF.
    This is a better way to invest in market.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Nowadays, I am investing gold ETF thanks to the correction in gold prices. I will invest in shares after the Parliamentary election, when I expect some corrections. :)
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hmm, gold prices might go down more, plan accordingly.

Parliament election time is good to "bet", not for investment :).