1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Modifications, warranty and other related issues

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by sungoa2010, Nov 23, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Many of us have done many modifications to their cars starting from alloys, exhaust, remapping etc. Some of them will be aware of the after effects including the warranty. But some of them will realize when the trouble starts. This thread is to bring more awareness among the members about after effects of modifications.
    This is just for awareness and one should have their own research to be done before any modifications to be performed on the cars.

I always had a question about going for a seat cover in a Airbag equipped car. Some cars like XUV had mentioned it explicitly that seat covers shouldn't be used. Can any one give a momentum to this thread by clearing my query?
    -Thanks
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Good time to start this thread. There is another thread started today, which describes dealer denying warranty/responsibilty because aftermarket alloy wheels were installed.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/tyres-all...nce-wheel-come-out-hub-after-only-100-km.html

I remember reading somewhere in the insurance papers that vehicle should not be modified. I will go through that doc once again and get the exact text. The crux is that insurance may not cover changes made to the vehicle post delivery from dealership. If they deny warranty or insurance claim on the grounds of modification, a lot of us will be in trouble. And yes, after market alloy wheels contribute to modification.
    2 people like this.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In case of XUV there are side airbags which I think were fitted in the seat itself. So, the caution. In punto/linea we don't have such a problem.

By the way, your avatar picture is nice sun!
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But what about if the seat belt pretentioner. Is there any sensors placed inside the seats?
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sungoa2010

I don't think seat belt pretentioner sensors are fitted inside the seat. But there is something like g-sensor fitted somewhere in the body of the car.

Have you observed this, in case of abrupt breaking and in case of slow breaking in down hill/steep decent seat belt won't allow you to move forward.
    2 people like this.
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This might be case too. But seat covers should not bothering this..:)
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    NOt only in case of abrupt braking, even when u sit, n pull the seat belt(at the B Pillar side) suddenly with some force, it ll not come out of it. This has nothing to do with seats n sensors..
    The accelerometer/G force etc is calculated for airbag deployment..
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    +1 :)
    Tensionner is present in the side pillar itself, if you pull to fast it will not allow, no G force or accelerometer calculations done :) Simple limiter ..
  9. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The things you add without affecting the original structure or the parts are not called modifications. When the original structure is affected then it will come as modification only. This excludes the seat cover changing, adding leather cover to steering, slip mats, mobile holders, chrome tail pipes, fitting door sills. The major changes that affects performance are called modifications and lose warranty. Adding additional Turbo, additional filters, wheels, changing the speakers, HUs, amps or the light units, etc.
    2 people like this.
  10. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    Remapping, Tuning boxes, FFE, CAI ,performance brakes up size from stock, Up-sized alloys and tires from the specified normal spec, non complying with service schedule would void warranty. In case of warranty claim in case of remap just ask your tuner to get the normal map and give it for service. I had to get my EGR replaced and put on the stock map and got it replaced. I had an issue with the ABS and the rear right hub was replaced. I did not get the claim stating that my car had covered more than 40 K on the ODO. The answer i got was suspension related warranty lasts for only 30 K.