1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mobile phone to an in car media center?

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by theblack, Apr 29, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I"ve been toying around the idea of actually buying a decent 5"-7" phone which is cheap to buy and use that as a media center in my car.
    Especially after having seen the A116 that Sat owns my ideas have become somewhat concrete.

Here is my idea.
    1.) Buy a big screen phone with dual sim (Airtel in one and BSNL in the other with 3G on both).
    2.) Remove the stock player completely and get a casing done such that it has charging ports, AUX and is easy to remove the phone from the casing and directly fit it to the dashboard for a complete feel.
    3.) Enjoy calls, navigation and movies all the cost of 16K (a double DIN costs nothing less than 20K is what i hear)

Problems.
    1.) The audio quality is not going to be that great (but i'm ready to live with that)
    2.) How do i connect the speakers to this phone?
    3.) I think i might need an amplifier as well. in that case what needs to be done?
    4.) Can I extract usable stuff from the stock player and somehow come up with a way to make this project work.?

Bottomline
    I dont know anything in electricals and i'm not sure if this is even possible.
    But that's the fun in a DIY doesn't matter if its doable or not. I would like to give this a shot at least.

Any helps?
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Keep the stock as it is.The only problem with the stock is no Bluetooth A2DP.Get an AUX there and use Bluetooth adaptor and play A2DP seamlessly.
    Rather phone, Tablets are good.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I have the stock system and even an AUX plugged into it. But i always fancied having a screen in my car and especially wanted it to be integrated into the dash and hence this idea
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If you don't want to retain the stock system then add amp which has aux input or other way you can use the aux to RF connectors for the amp.

Then the music outcome will be as per your taste. :)

For this you need to catch a good music system installer who can understand your requirement.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    guys we are moving a long way away from the requirement.
    What I want to know is if its possible to use the phone as a media center that means using it and that's all.
    I dont want any additions / subtractions to the existing system to make things better .

This is not a query for ICE upgrade or something like that.
    What i'm specifically looking at is using my phone and ensuring that it plays songs via the speaker, give me ability to use it as a navigator and so on.
    All the technicals on that regard have been posted in my opening query
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    theblack,
    we are already having android tablet thread from Rajan,
    when an tab can do everything ,why not phone can do ? all you want is the GPS,Bluetooth and USB connectivity.Technically with mobile is possible.
    What you want is the dashboard changes,so that your mobile phone occupy neatly.Connecting to car speakers you need a jugaad here.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    that is what i'm looking at
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This is the jugaad which I am talking about.

Also your tablet will work as master on which you can play music with any advanced player.
    You can play movies. So all features of Media player features you can use including MAP.

Also if possible you can use the calling feature too.
    But for calls, your voice will be min due to the mic issue.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i'm not worried about CDs.
    In fact i have all my media either in my phone or on a USB stick

- - - Merged Post - - -

yeah i'm looking at adding an AMP as well. But amps are expensive in itself right?
    Let me see what i can think of for this.