1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MMI LX 340 review

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by theblack, May 10, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Finally i own one of my own!!

Buying experience
    I bought it directly from MMI and it was scheduled to arrive in 2-3 days time and without a hickkup the device landed at my door step in 48 hrs and i was happy with the service.
    Looks like MMI has a courier service in BLR as well as the guy who delivered it was well aware of the device and even told me "Saar 15000 rs navigation device kuda idde, thumba jana eevaga kondu kolla ta iddare" (sir devices worth 15k are also available and there are lots of people buying it these days".

Tipped him for the prompt deliver and set about opening the box which was wrapped in layers and layers of tape and sheets.

Inside the box
    1.) MMI LX 340 navigator
    2.) car charger
    3.) USB cable
    4.) Manuals and guide.

I was surprised to see that there was no wall charger at all . I quickly looked up the website and figured that i had overlooked this section in my excitement that they dont offer a wall charger at all.
    I was a bit dissapointed but using the USB cable and connecting it to my phone charger i was able to get the device going.

User Experience.
    The reason why i bought this against VX 140S premium was that LX 340 is running on a slightly higher processor spec and that's all i was interested in everything else is pretty much the same.
    yesterday night i decided to take it on a test and since i was anyway heading towards "Corner house" near Sajjanrao circle , I decided to see if it can take me there.
    My wife started to fiddle around with the device and tried to figure out the location but to our horror we were just not able to find the location no matter what we tried.

Almost immediately my wife cribbed and repeated started asking me ,"Was this really worth your money, Was this really worth your money". I really didn't have anything to say and silently prayed that MMI would somehow stay on my side so that at least there is some respite for me.

Slowly she was proved wrong(to some extent at least). The device was left 'ON' and it was showing the route I was driving on and that's when my wife started to crack a smile reading out all the nearby locations shown on the device and to our surprise most of these places were within 5-10mtrs of our actual location. Sometimes bang on target as well.
    That's when we realized that perhaps the corner house at Sanjjanrao circle was not the real address to begin with and poor MMI was blamed. ;-)

Anyway moving forward we reached the place had a nice cup of ICE CREAM on a chilly rainy night and for the return journey I thought I will test it again by specifying my home address.
    MMI has a nice feature called "Take me home" where you can punch in your home address and store it . I used this facility and the GPS started the work of tracking.

It was accurate to almost 90-95% of the times and when ever i made a change in the route the device rerouted accordingly and surprisingly it didn't take more than 4-5 secs to reroute me via the new direction. I was mighty impressed.
    Eventually we arrived home and it had brought us back home without breaking sweat.

verdict :: Know the address properly and you can easily trust MMI.

After reaching home i tried to give it the hotel address of locations where I will be staying on my journey to leh shortly and i was pleasantly surprised that the exact hotel address was being listed in places like Gujrat and jodhpur. This is "Great news" because even in Tier 2 or Tier-3 cities we are having coverage.
    I can set these locations as favourites and get instant navigation to the locations.

What i like

1.) Navigation
    2.) sufficiently big screen (4.3") and the layout such that i can see things around the area pretty well.
    3.) 3D Navigation to enhance perception
    4.) Media support for WMV, MP3, AVI, Xvid
    5.) Sattelite lock (The chipset with a faster processor means that i get a lock very quickly. my phone was hardly able to lock on 2 sattelites near my home while MMI locked on to nearly 6 sattelites with 50% strength). This is good stuff

What i dont like
    1.) horrible batter life . The device comes with only 950mAH battery and its doesn't last long at all. On full charge I'm expecting only about 45-60mins of navigation. A car charger is a must at all times.
    2.) No wall charger by default means i should always rely on charging it in the car. This is terrible.
    3.) Interface not very crisp. The touch seems to be quite awry at times and the layout is really something that MMI needs to work on .
    It does take some time to find out where all the buttons are and how to access them.

Final Verdict
    This device is going to help a lot in navigation and once you know how to feed in the info its pretty accurate as well. The fact that i was able to pin point many locations and get navigation details to door step means its a dependable device especially for guys who travel out of city on long drives.
    All in all I would give it a 3.5/5
    3 people like this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay congratulation for your new navigation device.

Did you check Tom Tom? They are offering lifetime free map upgrades and voice guidence is available many regional languages.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

No i didn't check them nor considered because i went through a few reviews and asked around and found out that currently MMI is having the best maps.
    So i wanted to pick that up only.
    Voice navigation in regional languages is there even in MMI
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    What are the charges to upgrade the maps. I am not aware of this. Is it yearly upgrade or what?
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Even i'm new to i might be wrong but from the manual its like this.
    If you see any latest maps available then all you need is to connect the device to your computer and download the files.
    The upgrade looks to be yearly.
    But you can choose to upgrade anytime you want after a release is made by paying some upgrade costs.
    This upgrade is like a yearly policy. once you pay the amount any updates within 1 year of your subscription would be free.
    1 person likes this.
  6. @theblack,
    Please check this post on how to get best out of you phone navigation,might come handy where there is edge connectivity.

below is the comment I came across in the definitive forum.

Currently the whole Indian map (Map + DB) is approx. 400MB. Comparatively, the US and the European ones are ~1.5GB. Does that tell you anything about the difference? Those databases have been in the making for 25 years now. The Indian databases are less than 10 years old.
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Sat, I did use Gmaps for a long time before i finally decided to pick up MMI the reasons are plenty.
    MMI chipset is a dedicated GPS chipset so getting a satellite lock is much much faster and more reliable information.
    Secondly its better in terms of street naviagation as well as some remote places that Gmaps dont cover.
    Finally Gmaps works well depending on your connection which is not the reliable way.
    Hence I bought this device