1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MJD Turbo details

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Fiatophile, May 28, 2013.

1. Thanks Senthil, this is the same link which I was about to quote.
    If VW doesn't do some thing serious to I'm prove AUDI brand it will go downhill.
    1 person likes this.
  2. 1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This was answered in the very next post. We then started digressing. As Auto enthusiasts, I guess that is the expected behaviour :D, especially when the topic is about TURBO

Let us get the facts right. One in every 27 cars, made by Audi, used in the UK and the warranty provider being Warranty Direct had problems.

See comment to previous quote.

No my friend. That is the count down to most reliable engines. FIAT is 7th and Honda is first. This again is limited to cars used in the UK and the warranty provider being Warranty Direct. So who is Warranty Direct?

From the above link:
    "Warranty Direct, which with 50,000 policies on its books is the UK's leading supplier of direct consumer warranties,...."

I mean, 50,000? Is that a big enough sample size? Remember, this 50,000 includes all makes of cars. I would not be surprised if they have just 27 Audi owners who have signed up with them and 1 made a warranty claim :evilsmile

Ward's 10 Best Engines is an annual list of the ten "best" automobile engines available in the U.S. market. FIAT is a relatively new entrant to that market and has a long way to go, before they get on that list

This is just for laughs, I hope.

Ah. Now we are getting back to topic. Tried asking FIAT themselves? They might just tell you.

India is a good place. It is as good as any other place in the world. Each place has its merits and demerits. It is not fair to generalize and say that anything Indian is bad. It is as foolish as believing anything Indian is the best in the world.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ah. Now we are getting back to topic. Tried asking FIAT themselves? They might just tell you.

Hey Boy...

:uh Thanks for the advice,i guess i should have done this in the beginning.
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Guys wake up !! there is nothing such as inferior quality or anything. TEL is a German brand and has a manufacturing (assembly) tie up in india. Garrette has the same and they have a tie up with Honeywell to assemble there turbos.

Castings such as turbo housing etc are procured within india or also from outside. Bearings , propellors etc are also imported. There is no rocket science in building a turbo.

TEL turbo used by Fiat in linea and Punto 90hp are very costly - so dont think you get a costlier turbo than that. Tata uses Garrette for Safari and few models. They have similar costs.

FGT turbo manufactured by KKK, Garrette and TEL are also having almost similar pricing.
    3 people like this.
  6. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    Guys , avoid TEL . TVS has warranty policies which benefit the company than anyone else . TVS exists because there is no direct competition in the parts segment . I had bough the 12,600 quoted turbo and after installing it in the car within seconds the shaft broke into multiple pieces . TVS never acknowledged the manufacturing defect but started getting defensive about the whole replacement process . In the end I lost 12,600 in just a couple of hrs . I advise you getting a borg warner or a KKK charger . Only the piping for the intake manifold is different between the Maruti , Tata and Fiat chargers and that is why they have different part nos. The internals are all the same . Best bet is use the same manifolds as in the blown turbo.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ why did you have to buy from outside? didn't have extended warranty?
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I've been following this thread for a while and i dont see the point for a fight here.
    what qualifies as an unreliable turbo? according to folks who claim it to be so?
    Just a failure on there system? Inferior quality is also a hugely debatable word.

In this forum itself i remember reading an article or a link to an article that spoke about the worst engines reliabilities and almost all our german friends were on the top of the list.
    BMW, MERC and AUDI . Now having to say that there engine parts are using inferior quality products just because they have claim would be :evilsmile

Lets look at it from another angle, There is really only one way to find out if the parts are of inferior quality and that's to test it for fatigue under extreme conditions by overselves! not some company claimed report or a third party opinion.
    Just because there has been a failure of some sort It would be inappropriate to call something unreliable and there are many factors to it.
    So I still dont understand the point :?