1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MJD or JTD, Whats inside your hood.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 17, 2011.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    1.3 JTD was available even in 2003 and above website states that it was launched in 2005. In 2005 MJD I was launched
    Above website is not offical fiat website, it have copied info from wikipedia.com and not to mention anyone can edit wikipedia.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    In 2003, the quest of making a much better diesel engine resulted the development of Multi Jet Technology. The uniJet Turbo Diesel (Common rail) technology was upgraded to MultiJet technology. As the name shows, in this advancement the number of injections increased to a total of five which ushered in even more refinement and performance. In 2005 Fiat’s MultiJet 1.3L diesel engine bagged “International Engine of the Year” award .
    So it's the same story.
    There’s two main differences in MultiJet technology from its predecessor UniJet (JTD) engines. One is injector and the other is Electronics Control Unit In UniJet engine you will find only two injections within a combustion cycle. Means a pre injection (Pilot injection) which raises the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder in order to improve the main stroke. In Multijet engines the main injection is divided into multiple smaller injections(Five injections), which ensure complete efficient steady combustion within the cycle.

Source :- http://www.techlineinfo.com/fiet-multijet-ii-the-next-generation-green-diesel-engine-technology/

From Fiat press release
    Fiat press.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @amit, i kinda agree with gurujindar, are we going in circles only?
    If these are JTD, why reffered as MJD by fiat itself?
    The very next question, on various Fiat official sites (as per JTD,here MJD) the same engine with 5 injections per cycle is named MULTIJET. Even on Fiat power train(FPT) site says that.
    If this generation is JTD with 5 injections per cycle. Then the 2009 made engine which comes with 8 injections should named as JTD II or MULTIJET.(as per above theory that 5injection engine is JTD & not MJD )
    If FIAT named 8 injection per cycle engine as MULTIJET II, our engine has to be MULTIJET.
    Oh boy now im confused too. Guruji, you said it well we are doin in circles only!
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    thats what tron. fiat themselves are saying the 8 injections multijet II is called multijet and all previous versions are JTD. and this is true. i cannot connect the ecu of my linea to multijet. i can connect it only to JTD :)
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    OT what module are you using to connect to ECU. Can you please give me the details.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    This is just a guess.
    It is quite common to have one naming convention in the R&D and an entirely different one in the Marketing department.
    So in the ECU it is still named as JTD while the marketing people coined the term Multijet when it came out.
    Now when the 8 injections per cycle was developed, it was named Multijet in the R&D but then Marketing had to find a new name to differentiate and so named it as MultiJet II.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    below is the extract of the ecu modules. If we call indian punto as GRANDE PUNTO then below are the options in FIATS dictionary. but your grande punto will not connect at all to the ECU modules which i have shown side by.

For linea 1.3 multijet is not at all in fiat dictionary. so its quite evident that linea just has JTD series. also the ecu is shown by its side. my linea connects only to JTD and all puntos connect only to 1.3 JTD as well

look at the pic below which i have compiled
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I'm very sure there is. FIAT Turkey and Brazil etc all sell the Linea Diesel as the Linea Multijet ( 1.3 or 1.6). And they won't commit such a blunder as not to know what the name of the engine really is ! :p

The ecu connector thingy you have seems to be playing funny.

And bhai i think no pic got uploaded.
  9. Yes TRUE about the number or injections.but 5 is more that sufficient for power and effeciently...Regeneration process needs very high temperature which is achieved by burning fuel in DPF. The fuel is injected late so that it travels with the exhaust gases and burns the soot in DPF

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Yes, TRUE !!! it is all a marketing gimmick. It could be a different ECU or it may be a same ECU with different name. Generally the ECU (Hardware) is changed only if they are not able to manage with the existing ECU. The software in the ECU could be very different ( even if the ECU HW is same )..
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    no its a fiat software and its accurate, look at the pic below

below is the extract of the ecu modules. If we call indian punto as GRANDE PUNTO then below are the options in FIATS dictionary. but your grande punto will not connect at all to the ECU modules which i have shown side by.

For linea 1.3 multijet is not at all in fiat dictionary. so its quite evident that linea just has JTD series. also the ecu is shown by its side. my linea connects only to JTD and all puntos connect only to 1.3 JTD as well

look at the pic below which i have compiled

ecu.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011