1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MJD or JTD, Whats inside your hood.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Lets not be guided by bhp numbers. A key element of change has been internal change. Change in the management of engine from JTD to MJD2. Also changes in mechanical components.

I really wish i could cite some tech facts but i'm making educated guesses. :p
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if you dig a bit into this the basic changes here are the injector changes and ecu mapping. block and other mechanicals remain same. all function on common rail, high pressure.

however i am trying to guess why Fiat india calls the 1st gen injector cycle equipped national 1.3 diesel a multijet when links show its a JTD.
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    The Multijet 2 has different internals for sure in the intake and cylinder head.

Checked a few links and most of the guys on FiatForum also aren't crystal clear on this issue.

Matters are compounded further when a certain engine is labelled jtdm. That is JTD Multijet. Both.

Alfa have used this designation. I reckon JTDM is the JTD version 2. The Indian version. Also simply known as Multijet 1

P.S. Am i going in circles?!
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    so was my brain since the day i hooked on my ecu to the scanner and couldn't connect to the 1.3 multijet module for almost half an hour. i tried to investigate on other forums as well but dint find any answer.

the main problem is i can see injector correction figures but nowhere there is a mention of no of injections per cycles which could have given a better clarity.

the ecu connects to Panda 1.3 jtd , Linea 1.3 JTD, Punto 1.3 JTD, IDEA 1.3 JTD i.e all JTD engines on older cars,

but doesnt connect to Grande punto 1.3 multijet 16v, fiat 500 1.3 multijet etc.

so my doubt is why are we calling it fiat multijet.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Because it is very clearly written on our engine "multijet" (on air filter Hood.)
    what else?
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Even I second Gurjinder. Fellows kindly go through the following links. I think our cars surely has 5 injections and only then can it meet Euro 4 norm plus the ECU was introduced in Multijet. Hope these links will clear your confusion whether ours is MJD or not. SO why is it getting connected to JTD module is still a mystery. :confused:

http://www.techlineinfo.com/fiet-multijet-ii-the-next-generation-green-diesel-engine-technology/
    http://www.fptmultijet2.com/eng/up-to-8-injections/up-to-8-injections.php
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. JTD and Multijet are same with the ability to inject upto 5 injections per cycle..the next generation is Multijet II with upto 8 injections per cycle.

MJT II is required to meet higher emisssion norms..

JTD/MJT was engine of year in 2005 and The engine is able to meet Euro IV pollution standards without the use of a diesel particulate filter.
    Why will fiat give us Euro 5/Bharat 5 engine when we have to only meet bharat 4 emission norms.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

The higher number of injections are required mainly for a Diesel Particulate filter !!! and may not contribute in a great way towards power increase.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    The higher number of injections are desirable for a complete combustion, resulting in lesser emissions, more efficiency and power.

DPF's trap the soot which gets burnt off by ''regeneration'', a process which has many critics.

But, let's not go off topic.
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    The Small Diesel Engine range is a 1.3 L version of the Fiat JTD, it was produced in 2005 and was named the international engine of the year in the small engine category. Four versions of this engine are available today, there is a 70PS, a 75PS, a 90PS and a 105PS. During 2005 it was the worlds smallest four cylinder engine, it is also able to meet EU regulations without needing a diesel particulate filter. During 2009 Fiat developed a new generation of the Multijet 2, that was equipped with a new injection managment system and was able to meet EU pollution standards.

source : www.fiatengines.com

so ours is a JTD engine for sure.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Well, for Multijet 2 to be developed, there had to be a Multijet 1. FPTMultijet2 website lists both the injectors used in Multijet 1 and Multijet 2. LINK

The real JTD's were the first of the common rails from FIAT. For example the 1.9 JTD. Which shared the same block as the PalioD. Dinosaurs wearing Tommy Hilfiger clothing.

Then came the Multijet with 5 injections and more precise control. 100% sure this is the Indian one. Although i have no explanation why the software tags it as JTD. That can be because it recognises only the Multijet 2 as Multijets , and others as JTD's.

Let's stir the pot a bit more;)