1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MJD or JTD, Whats inside your hood.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Italia-Linea, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Hello Guys,

i am wondering why indian 1.3 diesel engines from Fiat as called as Multijet. Elsewhere they are tagged a JTD. the JTD engines has 1st generation injection systems, which i believe is the same on our fiats.

The second generation injection system is called as multijet elsewhere.

The same is confirmed by FIAT ECU too. it does not connect to Multijet module in the scanners. it connects only to JTD engine module.

I smell bad here.

extract from wiki

JTD , an initialism for uniJet Turbo Diesel, is Fiat Group's term for its current common rail turbodiesel engine range. The MultiJet name is used in the second generation JTD common rail units. Most of the Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia range has JTD engines.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I think both makes sense. MJD is the name used for 2nd gen JTD engine (So basically it is JTD unit). Maybe the ECU scan module also supports Multijet II . So naturally the MJD is getting connected to JTD module & for Multijet II, it will get connected to Multijet module.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    yeah i am too thinking the same. our engines are basically the JTD so they connect to JTD modules.
    the multijet II should connect to multijet modules.

the ISO codes also show JTD for our engines.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That'll be something related to software updates etc. Our engines are Multijet 1

JTD's are dinosaurs now. ;)

Cheers.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    nopes. softwares are the latest ones :) our engines in right theory should be JTD with 1st generation injection. Fiat has tagged the national engine as multijet which in theory hosts 2nd generation injection.
    this is what i can read from wiki and fiat sites. and same is replicated in the latest fiat softwares.
  6. @drifter any comments on this?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The order of evolution in my opinion is JTD----MULTIJET----MULTIJET II

Multijet 2 1.3 is found internationally in the 500 etc. It boasts of reduced emissions and more power.

The 1.3 JTD was the first ever 1.3. And the Indian FIAT 1.3 is the predecessor to the Multijet 2.
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
    the funny thing is the engine options are as below.

1. Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 16V

2. Panda 1.3 JTD

3. Linea 1.3 JTD (no multijet option)

4. Punto 1.3 JTD

Our cars do not connect to 1.3 multijet 16V ecu.

it connects only to JTD codes.

so it can be classified as 1.3 multijet 16V are multijet II , and JTD are our so called multijets.

i dont have option to check the injector cycles in any modules. otherwise it would have been more clear
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    JTD First Generation (69 Bhp)
    MJD Second generation (75 to 90 Bhp, our car uses this)
    MJD II Third Generation (95 Bhp)
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    MJD II comes in 75 as well

During 2009 Fiat launched a new generation badged Multijet 2, with a new injection management system (up to 8 injections per cycle, instead of 5) and able to meet Euro V pollution standards. It is available in two versions: 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) and 95 PS (70 kW; 94 hp).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine

quite confusing