1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MJD :Engine tune and EGR

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, May 14, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Enki, I am not going to compare SX4 or Manza to 90HP. My query was whether all the cars have same mapping. How the torque is different in different cars if they use engine with same mapping. The post was related to the discussion prior to my post. :D
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Tunning of multijet,qudrajet & DDiS

There you are !Torque figures are differant even engines are same. Reason is tunning.DDiS & quadrajet have less low end torque than super refined multijet.As per my observation valve timing of DDiS is differant from multijet. Let's learn the theroy of vlave timing. First Inlet valve :-Inlet valve of DDiS closes late than multijet for enetring more fuel in combustion chamber. So DDiS is peppy.But inlet valve of multijet closes quickly than DDiS. So multijet runs on lean mixture. Due to lean mixture multijet is refined.Exhaust valve :- Exhaust valve of DDiS remains close late than Multijet. Exhaust valve of multijet is closed quickly then DDiS. Means Multijet has fast valve operating than DDiS. DDiS has slow valve valve operating.Engines having fast valve operation can produce more max.torque and better low end grunt. In addition to that Injection qty. , injection timing is differant. & plays an imporatant role .Corrections are welcomed if I am wrong.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Not sure about Manza but definitely about SX4. It's tuned different & what else can prove than 13.1 secs 0-100 km/hr? By the way, if you aware that SX4 belongs to a FIAT/Suzuki joint developed platform for a compact SUV, FIAT Sedici. SX4 handling is league ahead of other regular Suzuki's, so this car is capable of a stable 160 km/hr ride.

for other factors, being only 5 Gears, it's the same torque band that both cars can play with. If it does 0-100 quicker, it will be a compromised on in-gear accelerations, strong mid-top range & obviously top speed. FIAT's gear box is co-developed with GM (2003-2004) & has longer throws, but that doesn't prove they are inefficient.For 10000 KMs of service interval, they are simply milking customers, no doubt IMO!!
    Customer may sue Maruti as the same engine can't have two different service intervals. They do heavier duties in Maruti if they not in FIAT monsters & that's why they need to be serviced earlier:confused:. How much they word hard with lesser in-gear & inferior top range?
    Punto 90 HP absolutely runs over DDis swift in 100-160 range? It absolutely humiliates a swift!!
    whereas in 0-80, swift maintains some 10 feet advantage. This is precisely researched & concluded with a brand new 90HP vs brand new MJD swift bought on the same day.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True. I did encounter a SX4 Zdi once on a highway. He was comfortably cruising at 150+ kmph. Still, he did slow down on corners where I just cruised ahead of him :).
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    See if you say rev limiter is set to 3500 then its in all gears. How can your car then revv to 4000 rpm in 4th gear. TATA got the modified gearbox C501 on later version drivetech of vista.

Revvlimiter has nothing to do with the weight of the vehicle. Revlimiter if set at 4000 rpm will cut off fuel every time your car reaches that rpm in any gear be it 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th. Its added to protect the cars engine from damage.
    Gear box when different utilizes the engine rpm in optimised way. So Swift feels very zippy. But you slot the punto/linea in 3rh 4th and 5th gear and things are very different. My linea beats the dezire between 100-170kmph. 1st and 2nd gears are short.

You got your car remapped- thats the only way to delete EGR. I was under the impression that you deleted EGR without remap :)

Well if you want to check whether its totally bypassed hook a scanner to your obd port and see the EGR cycle Duty. EGR works only on part throttle 0-60% on high revvs its 0%

EGR is the most unwanted things in any car. I too want to delete it, but dint find a tuner who can do it without harming other parts of remap. I am happy to learn siddharth did it. But confirm whether he perfectly did it !!

Previous BS3 models were bit slower than new BS4 model. Mine is DEC2010 model and there is no difference at all in my and 2012 vehicles.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Rev limiters can be changed depending on the gears...
    I didn't know this but found it out when i got my car remapped..
    I can reach 4500RPM in 1-4th gears.. But no matter what i try i cannot cross 3500RPM in 5th, that's when i realized that it can be blocked

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I can vouch for this because even my car is remapped by him and EGR is closed.
    I dont see any black smoke apart from the usual stuff ..
    In fact due to better fueling and my leaking hoses being fixed now, i see less smoke than before

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Sat-chit-anand ,
    I'm asking him for the same favor as well.. But AFAIK i think that would mean injecting a lot more fuel which could be detrimental ..
    What we need to do now is to find out "EXACTLY" how the 90HP beats the 3500RPM mark in 5th gear and do it.

My concern is also w.r.t the injectors , I'm not sure if its changed for the 90HP
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    EGR is also introduced to improve emission. They reduce the harmful nitrogen compounds. So performance wise we can say EGR is unnecessary but for a clean emission EGR does it's duty. Can we meet the same emission standards without EGR at the same coast?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Bhai, can you post some links/references for the findings. May be it will help us in discussion.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i dont think its possible.
    But with the newer DPF coming into vehicles i'm guessing a redesign of this to remove N2O would be in the pipeline. This would also mean that our 70BHP car would be more of like a 10BHP car as well ;-)
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Yes it can be done when remapped. But on OEMs, petrol and diesels revv limiter are set at fixed RPMS.
    With remaps you can do anything.

How much did he charge you for remap?

Mainly make sure the number of programmings parameter has not changed on your ECU.
    If the counter has increased be ready to face warranty problems as the very first parameter you see on scanner is programming date and no of programmings.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I was waiting for this...
    and thats where the beauty of MR siddharth's work comes in. I commend him for that
    I can PM the details to you if you want but all i can say is the counter is the same as what FIAT guys have put in