1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Oil Leakage from Steering - Punto 90 hp Diesel

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sk.kashyap.92, Aug 6, 2015.

1. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hello,

During my last visit at FASS in Jaipur the service supervisor had pointed out a minor oil leakeage from the steering assembly below.

When i had a detail discussion he told me that my entire steering will have to be replaced and estimated cost given to me was 18k.

I was told that there is no alternative option of repairing the same and i will have to go for replacement.

He has suggested to use the same till the leakage is minor and ensure oil level is maintained always.

My punto is 2010 model and i have clocked 1.25 lacs kms.

My questions to experts here is whether there is any way of getting the seal repaired.
  2. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi all...still awaiting revert.
  3. Ananth_90

Ananth_90 Timido

Kochi
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well, when I started for my 5K service from home to Pinnacle Kochi, there were some 4-5 drops of oil in carpet near the pedals. Told the SA about the same. It was diagnosed to be a loose nut inside steering assembly which caused the lube to creep inside the cabin. They tightened it and no issues till date for me
  4. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi... I was told by FASS that i will have to go for replacement. Cost is a approx 20k with labor. Wanted to confirm if i can get it repaired locally.
  5. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My car is 5yr old
  6. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well if you have a trusted Fiat mechanic then you can order the Assembly from 99rpm.com and have the work done right in front of your eyes, that should work out cheaper for you.
  7. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Cost od Assembly is 18k
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sk.kashyap.92

Can You please be specific of what part they are intending to change. Is it the pump motor setup or they are replacing the whole rack assembly complete.
    Also please mention whether the problem is only related to oil leak or heavy steering also with grinding noise.
    I am still unable to get 18K is for what
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2015 ---
    In any of the cases a replacement is the only option because the seals of both the component cannot be easily replaced as it needs good amount of skill to open both the rack or the pump motor setup and secondly you need good quality seal which would be hard to find in open market.
    If its on the rack side then a word of caution always check the boots of the steering rod when on servicing. Wear of boots causes dirt to enter and then damage the rack seals.
    If its 2010 model then possibly it won't have boots basic flaw of fiat in earlier cars (don't know about yours) but do check underneath and if no boots then ask for discount.

If again the rack side then do not run the car as loss in fluid will lead to pump damage.Avoid driving.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2015 ---
    If the boots are not there then do not let them go ask for discount they eventually will offer
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Its the rack assembly which needs to be replaced. Yes its a minor oil leakage. I was told by FASS to ensure that the oil level is always checked and had advised to go for replacement when the leakage increases.
    Steering is not grinding or hard its normal.
  10. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I will share pics soon