1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's good news that increasing GC doesnt affect the smooth handling of our cars. Though it is a personal choice to upgrade GC , i personally felt that GC provided in older models didnt really mak ethings very bad either. Might take a month in the begining to understand teh behaviour on Speed breakers and potholes, but after that you kinda get the knack of driving it around without scraping . I wouldnt say it is scrape proof but somehow you manage to run around perfectly at ease. Guys who felt pretty much at home with the company delivered GC can post in their experiences. i mean if we could save 15 K of INR by getting used to the drive why not try it....cheers
  2. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

Linea 1.3
    It is sure that increasing GC will affect the handling of the car.At high speeds it matters.For moderate speeds we won't feel the effect.The real behaviour of increased GC is while cornering at higher speeds.2102,2013 FIAT cars are very good in both the departments. It is the suspension that attributes mainly to the handling nature of the car. For best handling the suspension should be of stiff nature.Then the car will have increased pitching at low speeds over rough road surface.It is because the suspension acts like a low pass filter-that is low frequency ups and downs movements will be transmitted to the car body.Actually,if we move over such roads at a slightly higher speed,this up - down motion will not be transmitted to the car body.I own a 2012 Linea MJD.At very low speeds tghis pitching effect is there.Now I am keeping 32psi in front and 32 psi in rear.The problem is the tyres won't be giving good mileage if we keep pressure at lower side.I expect only 35 k for my GY NCT5 Eagle tyres.
  3. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Linea T-Jet

You are right Stephen. There is some pitching and roll effect on country - unpaved roads at low speeds.
  4. rajks

rajks Amatore

Rear suspension spring bushes

I went for a general checkup yesterday and I was told that both the rear suspension-spring-rubber buses has gone bad and needs replacement, the same will be covered under warranty. My questions are:
    - I was told that it would take around 21/2 hours to complete the work, any idea on what needs to be dismantled along with the springs to replace the bushes?
    - My odo is only 16.5K and its 11/2 years old, is it normal for the bushes to go bad within this? Out of 16.5K only 50KMs were bad/unpaved roads.
    - Do we need to pay labor for parts replaced under warranty?

5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

- Don't expect FASS to do any of these jobs in less than 2 hrs so the time they quoted is reasonable. The actual time taken might be much less/much more in some cases but that is how things work in India.

- My car has run 80K kms and the rear suspension was never touched so there is no hard and fast rule that the bushes will get damaged in 16.5 k kms. Sometimes these things happen and as long as they are replacing in warranty, you should not be bothered. When they ask you to pay for it, you should be asking all these questions.

- 0 labor to be paid for warranty replacement, the bill should technically be 0. For extended warranty replacements, they claim that the labor paid by the insurance company is less than their hourly rates and hence charge the difference labor sometimes. But for main warranty, no charges.
    1 person likes this.
  6. rajks

rajks Amatore

Thanks for the pointers Vj, I will post the update after getting it done.
  7. rajks

rajks Amatore

Got the replacement done this Tuesday and parts that got replaced are

1) Rear Suspension Coil Spring - RR: 1 No
    2) Thrust Ring: 2 Nos

The replacement is fine and good.
  8. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

Dear rajks,
    Firstly what experience of yours made you feel that the suspensions are not working fine? (You must have highlighted some issue to FASS)
    Secondly after changing the said parts are feeling any difference in ride quality?
  9. rajks

rajks Amatore

There wasn't any issue, it was during a general checkup FASS found that the bush (the one which prevents the spring from rubbing against the frame/iron-mount) has worn out, I also did a underbody check and found them wornout, hence it got replaced under warranty.

I do not see any difference before and after, as there wasn't any issue earlier too.
  10. Prashant gautam

Prashant gautam Timido

Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi, I am also facing the same issue where all 4 tyre pressure is going down at around 22-24 within 24hrs.
    Could you pls share your experience. How did you got this resolved.