1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune
    Re: My Punto issues - pulling left & gear shift

Will the wheel balancing covered in warranty?

Tomorrow I will be taking the car to Pandit Auto and following are the list of problems on my list -

1. Alignment and wheel balancing
    2. Entire Clutch assly, master slave cylinder etc check/replace
    3. Checking of front suspension, tie end rods.
  2. knightrider

knightrider

Pune
    1.3 MJD: Torque steer problem

The first thing I noticed when I drove my car was that I could feel strong torque steer when either tire hits an uneven surface and continuous sense of light steer ( both ways ) when driving on Tilak Road or any of the roads in Pune. Also, the car veered towards left when I took my hands of the steering. To test this further went to an empty road. Went to 2nd gear and took my foot of the gas pedal ( The MJD does not stall and keeps moving steadily ) and hands off the steering. The car veered towards left. The steering turned anti-clockwise in discrete steps. The amount of turn was significant IMO. Took it to Pandit Auto the next day. They said it was an issue with the alignment and that they have resolved it. Went for a test drive with one of the mechanics. The veering problem was resolved. However, I could still feel slight torque on the steering. When I mentioned this, the mechanic said that on uneven roads you will always feel this and since the suspension of the car is new, it will take for it to soften up a bit !

I used to own a Palio and the one thing I really loved about it was that the steering would be rock solid. No matter how bad the road or what pothole I hit, I would not feel anything on the steering. At least not in my initial ownership time. Later because of my bad driving, the front suspensions got screwed and after that I started feeling jerks on my steering. But only when it hits a bad bump or pothole. Not otherwise.

I am not convinced by the mechanics reasoning and I feel there is an issue. I just drove to my hometown of Bhusaval. On bad roads, the steering literally has a mind of its own. It does not feel like a power steering at all and turns left and right at will !

Has anyone else experienced this ? Could any of the experts provide an insight as to what might be wrong ? If there are any new Punto MJD owners in Pune or Pimri-Chinchwad area, I would like to meet one of you and test drive your car and you could test drive mine. I want to go back to the dealership with good evidence. This way the problem will become irrefutable and I wont be wasting my time at the dealership.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Re: 1.3 MJD: Torque steer problem

Car moving with foot off the pedal is absolutely normal.
    Torque steer is usually felt when you have your hands off the steering and accelerate hard and the cars moves either left or right. It is due to unequal drive shafts length. It is present in all FWD cars.
    With MJD having high toque at low rpm you would be feeling it more. The Palio 1.2 had 102 Nm torque at 3200rpm while MJD produces 197Nm that at 1750 rpm.
    Almost double of what 1.2 produced that too at much low revs
    Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean by "the steering literally has a mind of its own. It does not feel like a power steering at all and turns left and right at will !"
    If you mean when the tyre goes into a pothole the steering shakes than there is no problem with the car.
  4. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune

I got my car back after three days at the dealership. I used to visit them everyday to check if thay are actually "working" on the car. On first day when I went at 5pm, I found that they had done nothing except a test ride to find out the problems. Spoke to the advisor and made clear my displeasure, he promised that he would start the work on the car first thing in morning.

For the hard gear shift issue, they have replaced clutch pressure plate within warranty. I'm surprised that it needs to be replaced so soon. I checked the replaced plate and asked the mechanic any issues in it. He said it cant be checked visually.

They also changed the gear oil (2L) as it seems the viscosity was not right.
    Checked and done the alignment.

For rear left thump noise, they replaced the suspension but could not solve the issue. The works manager said they have written to FIAT and FIAT engineer will come down to check.

Bill - I paid only for gear oil (750 Rs) rest everything was in warranty.

After service experience -

I found the hard gear shift issue solved to 95-100%. Will try another TD car in showroom to confirm.

I noticed that after change in gear oil, engine noise has been reduced significantly. Car has become very quiet, almost like a petrol car and the drive is super smooth.

Overall service experience was good, only grudge is that they take more time now. One factor is since BUB has closed, there is huge rush in Pandit.
  5. knightrider

knightrider

Pune

When you say its normal for the steering to shake when it hits a pot hole, are you referring to vibration or jerks on the steering or its clockwise anti-clockwise movements ? I think I can clear up the issue by test driving another new car and making a comparison. What I know for sure is that the steering of my Palio was much more stable no matter what road I drove on. And I do not think the Punto steering should be any different. And the mechanics explanation of the symptom because of it being a new car is definitely questionable. I have not heard of steering problem going away as the car ages.

I am just making a comparison with my Palio and there are a number of things that do not seem right to me. May be these could be different symptoms of the same problem I am not sure. I hope these things are not standard fare in a Diesel Punto else my driving pleasure will be ruined. I think I am a very sensitive driver and tend to get restless by even the smallest thing that seems odd compared to a normal driving experience.

1. On gravel and bad roads, the steering constantly rotates clockwise counter clockwise based on which tire hits an unevenness. And depending on the rate at which the unevenness is being hit by both tires, the steering constantly jerks clockwise and counterclockwise.

2. When I drive at the speed of 80 or above, then even on a flat even road, the steering seems buttery ( guess the response is absent ) at moments. This is sporadic. I do not feel this all the time, but occasionally. I am not sure if this is because of the ABS.

I think I will find my answer if I test drive one or more other cars.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula

There would be jerks as well as some steering movement when you hit a pothole depending on the size but these would be very minor movements say like 5mm.
    You can drive the Test Drive Punto if you feel the movement is too much when it hits pothole or you can drive some other member car from Pune to clear your doubts, there are many owners from pune here.
    For your second query ABS has nothing to do unless you brake. Do you miss feedback from steering or it feels light or tight at speeds above 80.
  7. knightrider

knightrider

Pune

Ok. When you say it should move 5mm, then I think I have a problem. My steering rotates a couple of inches ( if you measure alone the curve ). And both ways. So there is definitely a problem. I think I will take it to the dealership again.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Only Pressure Plate changed ?
    They ought to have replaced whole Clutch Assly. It seems they have avoided to replace complete Assly.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Sorry I could not understand Torque steer problem ?

Please explain well. Then I can put some light
  10. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune

Ohh really? I will check with the advisor and see if this can be done.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with the clutch or this is the way it should behave - When I change a gear, and slightly depress the clutch (hardly 10%), there is slight jerk. So to avoid the jerky movement I accelerate. This is more pronounced in higher speeds during gear change (3rd, 4th & 5th).

I think there should not be a jerk when you just slightly depress the clutch. I can understand there will be jerk when the clutch is depressed more than 50% and there is no acceleration.

Since the clutch is giving "jerk" feeling at slightest depressing, it gives me a feeling something isnt right. I still remember when I had TDed a Punto MJD, the car didnt move in an inch before I had depressed the full clutch (it had a long travel). My car moves forward even when clutch is slightly depressed!

I just want to confirm the correct behaviour of clutch with you all before I jump the gun and start pointing issues in the car which otherwise might turn out to be the expected behaviour.

I spoke with the service advisor, he said its fine. But I have insisted on TDing a MJD punto so that I can compare. Lets see.