1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's a globally accepted practice on FWD cars that the front wheels go back on same side and the rear ones cross over to the front.

Also, depending upon the tyre wear pattern sometimes a simple front to back swap is prescribed and sometimes a cross is advised. So one prescription doesn't fit everytime.

An experienced eye is a must in these matters. The guy from whom i got the alignment done took one look at the tyres and told me that i needed to cross the tyres.

Another interesting thing he shared was that in the case of Punto it is an outright nightmare to align with puny tires. Especially the Punto with 165 tires. He was of the opinion that the Linea and Punto should have nothing less than 205 section tires. With those tires he claimed the settings come on perfect everytime and easily.

Cheers.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You meant the 195 section tyres?
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

IMHO you should have done wheel allignment when you rotated tyres at 18000 Kms.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Na mate. 205/60 15, as per the alignment dude.
  5. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    I had done the wheel rotation by myself and checked whether car was pulling on any side or not. It was perfectly stable (even today it is stable) and decided not to mess with factory settings. I will be get the wheel balancing done this weekend and see whether the steering vibrates around 80kmph.

I somehow not comfortable touching the alignment unless I see/feel any issues of pulling to a side or abnormal tyre wear.
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Last week I had done the alignment for 27K at MRF tyre services...the right side front & rear tyres are swapped as he found some wear & tear on that side tyre only.
    Before doing this he asked that in past did I rotated tyres? So I told him that rotation was done for front to rear only. I asked for cross swap also but he told me that that is not required.
    After alignment, I thought there will be some vobling but not so. The tyre wear & tear is due to missing my alignment schedule every after 5k. But not an issue. :)

The service guy told me that swapping is required only if the tyre wear & tear for all tyres are uneven.
    Is that right?
  7. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    The fear of messing with factory settings was realised last week. As my car is still in the 2 yr warranty, I want to do the alignment at TASS only, may be thats the mistake I did.

I complained about steering wobble between 80-100kmph, so they decided to do the basic checks. SA mentioned that if the wobble is due to alloy wheel bend, they can't rectify 100%. I was perflectly fine with that.

After agonising three hours wait (I thought this would take not more than 1hr as I had taken prior apointment and I rwached sharp by 9AM), wheel balancing and alignment checks were done and corrected. I took the car and realised that steering is making some strange noise and also the car is pulling towards left.

I took the car next day and showed to the same SA, he mentioned that suspension needs lubrication and it would take more than a day to fix it, I was in hurry and didn't had time to fix on that day. Now the steering is also heavy. Whether wrong alignment will have any impact on steering? it used to be very easy to maneuver in the traffic.

I am yet to visit again.

My question is whether wrong alignment will have any impact on steering? and how can all of a sudden, suspension needs lubrication and what could be the reason.

Regards
  8. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    The fear of messing with factory settings was realised last week. As my car is still in the 2 yr warranty, I want to do the alignment at TASS only, may be thats the mistake I did.

I complained about steering wobble between 80-100kmph, so they decided to do the basic checks. SA mentioned that if the wobble is due to alloy wheel bend, they can't rectify 100%. I was perflectly fine with that.

After agonising three hours wait (I thought this would take not more than 1hr as I had taken prior apointment and I reached sharp by 9AM), wheel balancing and alignment checks were done and corrected. I took the car and realised that steering is making some strange noise and also the car is pulling towards left.

I took the car next day and showed to the same SA, he mentioned that suspension needs lubrication and it would take more than a day to fix it, I was in hurry and didn't had time to fix on that day. Now the steering is also heavy. Whether wrong alignment will have any impact on steering? it used to be very easy to maneuver in the traffic.

I am yet to visit TASS again.

My question is whether wrong alignment will have any impact on steering? and how can all of a sudden, suspension needs lubrication and what could be the reason?

Regards
  9. kansal.dheeraj

kansal.dheeraj

Delhi
    Left Pulling issue in Punto causing other problems

Hi,

I bought Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD (Dynamic) on 23/01/2012 from Oberoi Cars, Noida. It was really a good experience with the sales team. In city I did not get a chance to check for everything because of traffic issues.

I started for a long trip on 24/01/2012 and as soon as I got a chance to let it fly, I noticed that car is pulling towards left. I thought that it might be because of alignment problem or due to bad road patch. I covered around 300 kms that day and tested it on different patches, but the problem of left pulling was there. I ruled out the reason of bad road, because I use that road to travel to my home town every weekend and I have driven a number of cars on it. But the problem of left pulling was found in Fiat only.

On my first service at 5000 kms, I told this to the service advisor at Oberoi Cars, Noida and they tried with the alignment and tyre interchange from left to right. Finally, by hit and trial, when they were able to manage it, I took the car and left the service center. But after running a few kms, it again started to pull towards left.

After running around 8000 kms, a weird sound started coming from front. I again went to Oberoi Cars Service center and told them about the sound and left pulling. Service advisor checked the wheel alignment, but it was alright. Then for the sound he told me that suspension rod was loose, so I have tightened it. Now the sound was gone, but still I was moved to left side of road when tried to drive by letting the wheel rotate freely.

Same thing was done at 2nd free service at 15000 kms, but waste of efforts on left pulling issue.

After running around 25000 kms, that sound from front (for which suspension rod was tightened at 8000 kms) came up again and left pulling was always there. Apart from these two, major problem was that tyres/steering wobbling. When I reported this, Service advisor forgot about everything and blamed this issue completely on JK Tyres as he could see the uneven wear and tear of tyres. So we arranged a meeting with JK Tyre executive and after checking everything, he confirmed that it is not a tyre issue. It is some problem with the car that is causing this wear & tear of tyres. I also think that JK tyre guy is right because this problem is there since the beginning and at that time tyres were new, then what was the reason behind left pull ? I also think that this left pulling has caused this wear & tear of tyres.

Any suggestions??