1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

I got my GP MJD Dynamic in June this year. During PDI I noticed JK tyres on the car. I requested the dealer to change to Good Year tyres for which he obliged and changed (I suppose he changed wheels from an another Punto) at the yard before delivery. Recently while I was driving on highway I noticed the car was pulling towards right when I took hands off the steering. Is this due to misalignment happened during change of tyres (wheels). I have done 2K Kms.

Thanks.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    it is difficult to say off the cuff that the issue is directly related to tyre change..

please get the wheel alignment and balancing done from a 3rd party (NOT TASS) and then if its still pulling check for tyre pressure variations.
    Then check for uneven tyre damage , after all these if the issue still persists then you might have a suspension damage
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Was it a perfectly flat road or with some degree of banking.

Swap the tyres left to right and see if the car starts to go left. If it does that's a tyre issue. For starters, go to a tire place , get that particular tyre removed from the rim and re-mount it on the rim. It solved a pulling issue on a Punto i know about. If this does not solve the issue, then get the alignment double checked and if the tyre is found faulty, get it replaced.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

That reminds me, the Palio's alignment went for a toss today all of a sudden and must get it corrected tomorrow. :-|
  4. Guys I need your advice,the car is nearing it 5k mark,so I will be getting the balancing,alignment,rotation done,but should I get it done from the service centre or outside shops??
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Get it done from A1 car care in jayanagar (near,mallige hospital ,lalbagh)...
    He does a good job ... My car was pulling to the left heavily and he was the only guy who was able to solve it for me.. ..
  6. Btw,how much should they charge??

I used to always go for alignment and balancing to tyre empire..But as some where I read some places mess up with the alignment of punto,so wanted to know the best option..
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Got the Linea's alignment and balancing done yesterday from a local shop which has been doing the Palio since 2005. The car had started going slightly to the right.

Now, FIAT explicitly mentions NOT to cross the tires. Just swap them back to front same side.

When i told this to the alignment guy, he was like - :?

The tires were swapped back to front as per FIAT and even with correct alignment settings, the car continued to go right. The front tyres were then crossed and the car and steering immediately became straight and true. The steering was back to its normal self. Now it was my turn to be - :?

So, i'm not sure why this is so and why FIAT bans crossing the tires. If someone can explain kindly do so.

Cheers.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Even I'm at a loss to understand this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    My punto also got corrected after a side pulling by exchange of wheels.
    Are these Italians are afraid of leftism though they can digest a right pull?:D
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    From what I have seen, some aligners swap tyres (front to back or sides) to sort out alignment issues. Some members like VahanPujari experienced problems after the sides were exchanged - the problem was only resolved after getting tyres to the original side.

Maybe the recommendation was made by Fiat taking directional tyres into account, as directional tyres cannot be side-swapped without taking them off the rim