1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Punto dragging towards left

I am observing some dragging(toward left) issue with my Punto. Service person had checked the alignment and adjusted the toe. Still the problem is there.
    They are asking me to leave the vehicle for suspension check.They also told that this can be due to brakes getting pressed to the wheels. But in the later case the drag should be only while applying the brakes. I have confirmed the drag in many straight roads. For example my alto which is due for service has a right moving tendency where on the same road the punto is moving left. This is the second problem that I am facing in one month
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Punto Pulling towards left

Mods Note - Threads merged.
    Please do a search before creating new thread.
  3. amolmane

amolmane Guest

To
    Sungoa
    Go to MRF showroom. & keep attention when mechanic gives input to computer at the time of alignment.

First Select Vehicle :- FIAT
    then
    Grande Pune
    then 1.3 MJD
    then
    3 options 1.2 Punto / 1.3 MJD 75 CV OR 1.3 MJD 90 CV & 1.4 Punto
    Select the appropriate model
    & then do the alignment.
    I had faced similar problem. So I done alignment at Authorised MRF dealer.

Mechanic should select proper model & proper submodel then your alignment will be correct.
    When I was doing alignment,then technician had selected wrong model. & he was unable to select proper model, I guided him. Then problem solved
    So you should personally present at the time of alignment.

Avoid Wheel Alignment at TASS.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa

Thanks amlomane. I have another doubt. Mine is a emotion variant. Do the wheel caps cause balancing issue?
  5. amolmane

amolmane Guest

No ! As per my opinion , wheel cap does not matter at all .

Because when we put the Wheel cap,it fits correctly through its holes. So no question arises about its abnormal tilting etc.
    Wheel caps are very light.So that weight is very negligible to our standerd speed. (80-120).
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa

I had taken the vehicle to MRF showroom for alignment check. They found that the two front tyres are not not parallel. Left front is slightly shifted towards back
    which is causing the left pulling(different caster angle for two wheels) and one has to do the caster adjustment. They advised me to do it at A.S.S since the vehicle is in warranty. This can be checked by keeping the both tyres along the length of the vehicle and measuring the distance between bonnet and frond end of tyre(~2-3 mm).
  7. amolmane

amolmane Guest

To
    Sungoa

Caster Angle ?

Recall your memory . Problem of Caster Angle means your car might have got strong damage.

Have you got any pothole ?

Fiat cars are so robust that Caster angle does not change even after using car for 9-10 years.

I had owned FIAT UNO for 9 years. I never faced Caster Angle problem. :wow

Even my 3 year old Alto had got Caster Angle problem due to its poor build quality :A

If you are not remembering any incidence, then incidence might have happened in absense of you.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa

Thanks amolmane. It is caster angle problem. I just now called MRF showroom were I checked it. Asked about the technical terminology and got the same answer. There was not even a single incident were I hit any pothole or hump. My vehicle is march 2010 make purchased october. I am very carefully driving the vehicle and I have not taken the vehicle to any bad road conditions. I am the only person who had driven my vehicle. I doubt whether they have used my vehicle for test drive.

I just now called the TASS and they told if it is caster angle problem there is no adjustment but they have to replace the parts.
  9. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Whats with my Brakes?

Last saturday my Linea was delivered post her 30 k service. Most of the repairs/replacemnts happened under warranty except for those on the brakes. Now right from the time I pruchased the car I had this peculiar problem with brakes squealing everytime applied ...something similar to the noise that we hear during rains or when there is dust accumulated. At 8k this was first brought to the notice of WASAN who cleaned the brakes but the noise persisted. At 12 k I showed it to RAJENDRAN at Fortune who said nothing with the brakepads, the barkes needed cleaning which was done and FIAT /TATA cars have this persistent problem of brake noise. At 15k service WASAN guys replaced the brake pads citing wear & tear. They said the brake discs also need to be replaced but went back saying 'just skimming is sufficient'. To the question how the brake pads can wear off so early the answer was that linea being a heavy car there is additional work load on the brakes (plus the fact that I am an aggressive driver made me buy their theory). The noise was eliminated for sometime but immediately after that the noise resurfaced. Now at 30k I am suprised to know that I need a new set of brake pads as well as brake discs. The wear tear on the brake pads had damaged the brake discs. Now the brake discs are not covered under warranty so I end up paying for the pads & the disc (each disc cost 1800 approx). Now the noise is completely eliminated though brakes lack the bite of earlier one. The question I have is that I always knew there was a problem & visited TASS so many times to get it sorted out but every time they found a temp solution. Finally when brakes discs need to be replaced they tell me that its due to the wear & tear of brake pad & cant be covered under warranty. I agree with what they say but irrespective how u drive can the brake pads start wearing off within 10 k of driving? I m posing this question since within a distance of 30 k I ve replaced my brake pads twice & brake dics once. I really dont want a replacement again on my next visist.
    Anup
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Re: Whats with my Brakes?

Arian,

Just a few days back I had my front disc pads replaced at odo reading of 27,000 kms. I caught it at the right moment as a suspicion arose in my mind when the brakes started to sqeal intermitently. The disc is in good shape and braking is back to normal. Initially when TASS gave me the delivery of the car after fitting the pads, I found that the bite was not there and it was spongy and hence went back, but they told me that it will take about 20 kms of driving for the pads to settle down . Now it is well set. ::T

i had wanted to warn the fellow TFIans to have an eye on the brake wear. Look out for squealing while in the dry. Brake wear varys from person to person depending on the driving style aswell as operating area. for instance, if your use is more on the highway the chances of you braking are well after many kilometres per activation, whereas if you are in the city your brake usage will be more evry kilometre and hence higher wear at lower odo reading. for example Epicentre replaced his disc at around 40K+ kms as he does more highway and I am changing at 27 K kms as I do more city driving.

Also I found that these brake pads are imported and may be thats the secret for the brilliant braking of the FIAT Puntos and Lineas. I suggest you try changing your driving style and be less aggressive on the brakes (now that your set is new you can start from scratch) Anticipate stoppings and be more gentle on the pumping if the situation does not require aggression. Coast to a stop instead of accelerating to a stop. Also ensure the correct tyre pressure, as under inflation loads the brakes and tyres heavily. Check the brake wear at 10,000 kms. Do all this while you straightaway send a mail to TASS and FIAT highlighting the fact that you had to incurr these uncalled for expenses at a very early stage and it is not acceptable. Only a change from your side can ascertain whether it was a product defect or not. If it was a product defect then ther would have beeen many complaints by now. YOu can check up with Vahan Pujari as he too had his disc change ar 30K. He is an acknowldged heavy footer. Cheer up, dont worry. :)

Abdul