1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am not happy the way steerring is responding, i really feel difference while driving,i do not know how to express the problem, i am not getting that level of feeling what I was getting before service.

I gave car for service yestarday cross 27K km. With normal servicing & oil & fiters changes, TASS replaced the brake pad,did tyre rotation & wheel alignment as well.

Guys please help me to understand what might be issue and how to solve so that i can get the rectify as i am going to visit KHT sercice center on monday.

Did you guys feel the smoothness while driving the car after service? what i mean like driving a fresh car. in my case i do not feel any difference, no smoothness.

While driving above 30 kmph:
    1)keep hand away from steering and car moves towards left.
    2)Feel something difference while holding steering on smooth road. Forcing to go towards left.
    3)On the straight smooth road, i feel slightly vibration on my right leg as I usally keep my knee towards door. Ride is not smooth.
    4)Some difference in steering, it as not like before service: sorry i cannot able to express further.

When i accelerate i donot feel above issue.

Is it becz of rotation? or relacement of barke pad? or wheel aligment issue? or alloy issue? or steering is not responding? or tyre issue?

Please help?
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    nitin, most probably this is wheel alignment issue. check if your tyres are having uneven wear. get the alignment done again. i feel it would have been existing before the service also and its just a co incidence that it became prominent recently. SC guys are not very proficient at wheel alignment so it would be better to get it done outside. Do not delay it otherwise your tyres will take a beating if they haven't already!!
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Nitin, Most probably, there is no issue at all.
    Since a lot of parameters have been changed, You can try varying the tyre pressure if it helps you.
    Steering becomes light if tyre pressure is increased.
    Pls drive it for a couple of days & be back with your inputs.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I had increased the tire pressure to 33 instead of 32. So I will wait for some days and check for any change.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Sun? Why so long?
    2-3 KMs of odd drive at different type of stretch will instantly make it clear.
    Why a few days:shock:?
    I think the tyre pressure optimization exercise should be started & decided upon end to end in a max of 1 Hr.
    If you will drive for few days, you will become habitual & won't able to spot the exact improvements/degradations.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I have driven some 3 kms. Definitely there is some more play. for example at 80-100 I try to oscillate the steering. It does, where earlier it was rock solid. When I want to take a turn my palm used to get a push that tell hey man you are going to turn. The feed back use to overtake any of my action on steering. But now the same steering tells me you have made a turn without asking me. That is the whole difference that I feel. May be the way I expressed communicate in a better way that I am missing. A fiatian will understand. The other thing is when engine is off the steering rotates more than earlier. It should get locked if try to rotate it. correct? When I did it didn't.
  7. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You have explained the symptom aptly! 10/10

i thought i am the only one with light steering problem till the time i came accross this thread!!
    BUT in my case though i have this intermitent problem of my steering feeling light at times just the way you drescribed it! And at times its solid like it was when i test drove a vehicle or when my car was new. (now its clocked 15k on the ODO). Its something akin to the car's pickup (sporty at time and at times sedate) as described in "KNOWN ISSUES" thread relating to ECU programming and stuff.

Wondering what could be the reason??

EXPERTS PLEASE ENLIGHTEN..
  8. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks shams.

I will ask SC guy to redo the alignment on monday, if still problem exists i will do it from outside.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Thanks ENKI
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No, fair enough sun. You were able to communicate perfect & i got your point.
    If i read correct, you are talking "STEERING PLAY" here?
    Again why are you waiting for days if there is "STEERING PLAY"?
    Listen, since there is lesser rolling resistance with tires now, try varying the tyre pressure again if it helps that PLAY feeling.
    Still no improvement, i am afraid you need to get the steering assembly checked at TASS.
    That PLAY thing is non-existing in Hydraulic & more of related to electronic steering.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. I am literally tied up with my work now. I need one or two days to come out of it. Since I am using nitrogen I need to go to that filling station (10km) to get it filled. Tomorrow I will take it to the MRF tyredrome and after taking his opinion I will check the air pressure. I don't have a pressure gauge with me.

Tell me one think why do they removed the steering wheel from the assembly? I don't think in alignment they need to do that. They took little time to fix it. I think this problem might have happened due to that.