1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

May be Ganges. But i am avoiding a dedicated trip to TASS for now. As per the symptoms of even wearing of pads of one tire, it doesn't look likely that pair of caliper are out of sync. I would instead prefer to go to TASS & have a checkup when i have an official schedule in that direction. May be next 10-15 days, I will update on development & findings.

Also as i clarified above, it doesn't drags towards left when it is braked.
    It keeps straight with astonishing stability like an arrow & no complaint what so ever till now.
    The minor left steering is when steering is left "FREE" under it's own control & doesn't involve any braking actions. I came to understood that's inherent factory setting as default alignment of FIAT vehicles. Due to this slight tilt in factory alignment, the left tire's pad may have more directed weight to stop as compared to right one.
    Hence more wear than right tire's pad.
    However, this slight tilting towards left doesn't cause any imbalance in case of hard braking.
    That's my take as of now & to confirm it further, i suggested you too to specifically compare pads of left tyre & right tyre.
    May be that would help to reach to any conclusion.

Again, that slight thrumming of steering could be the drawback of this slight variation in pad's wearing which should be common in all FIAT cars once the pads gets older. I have read enough such cases on TFI only including your's.

However, pls don't associate the steering thrumming with the directional lose during hard braking.
    When i am referring steering thrumming, it just steering thrumming only & that's too at very high speeds!
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If we are having ABS with EBD feature then one should think such a way:-
    EBD:- Applies equal brake distribution,if more weight on front wheels then more brakes are applied on front(left wheel with some XX % braking > than right wheel) wheels,

gurjinder,
    can you please confirm your comment from above discussion ?
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ganges, EBD doesn't look likely be a case here. Gurjinder has already stated it. Even if EBD would interfere more than usual, it won't be only left tyre always to suffer. A very limited role can be expected on EBD part. I thought on this & his opinion was right enough that it has to be one directional track driving which will help EBD to affect anywhere closer.

Only 2 possibilities as of now:

1. Leftward tilting of FIAT cars

2. Brake calipers of right tyre are not performing as good as left one. May be 100% to 80% performance wise. They are working IMO else it would result into one sided tilted upon braking, but not as good as left ones & need some cleaning job.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    thats good for somewhat firm conclusions after so many discussion with take around through EBD as well.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    This will not result in un-even wearing out of the brakes. Tires, maybe ; brakes no.

Cheers.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Even in my linea left side pads have less thickness than right ones so must be normal. It stops in a straight line under panic braking or when braking with hands of the wheel.
    I guess this have to do something with unequal length of drive axles on front wheels.

Mods: Move these brake pads posts into some brake pads discussion thread.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Thanks Vijay. Need some more confirmations from members before it can be declared standard free of cost feature of FIAT cars:mrgreen:. Don't need to shift these "brake pads posts" to some other section as they could be one of the cause for steering thrumming/vague steering behavior.

@Gurjinder: You may be right on fiat tilting left but not affecting left side pads but tires are not affected at all, i can confirm that. I have just checked my car's braking again last hr only. Left steering on an empty road@80 km/hr & braked it really tight. No swaying/dragging on either side, just perfect as ever before. Now that should exclude the caliper issue. It was done tight enough to ensure that even 10% performance difference among the left/right calipers could be spotted out. They all seem to work OK in sync so far.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    today had a drive of 42.4 Kms after my punto being to TASS,dont know what they have done with steering it has gone little smooth.also tried hard braking at the speed of 70Kmph and didnt found any left drag or heavy steering wobbling like before.but yes slight steering thrumming is there!
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

hummm.. great but you should have involved yourself & update us.
    Anyways, The little thrumming is there when you put your foot gently on brake paddle & hardly braking it.
    That should be OK IMO & not something really challenging.
    Before replacing pads, it was experienced even when brakes were pressed hard. Now that is completely gone.
    Don't forget to take pics of left/right tire's pads though when-ever you change them.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes.

For sure,that will be interesting to see for me as well. :) and very soon i will do that, the reason we don't use our car for city driving(very rare), mostly highway only and i don't want any trouble while long drives.

Well today i got the call from FIAT for service done this week, all was 4 marks except for the time to promise the delivery of car rated with 7 marks.