1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Guys, I witnessed something very weird at TASS yesterday. When i compared brake pads of front tires yesterday, the left tire's pads were non existent where as Right tires were pretty much OK with 6-8 mm of pad left on it (good to go for another 3000-4000 KMs). Left tire's were worn out much earlier actually before i even dreamed about it.
    Now how about this inconsistency?

Since brake pedal is common for both the shoes, i hardly have any control which shoe to be used more or less??
    The only explanation i could find for this phenomenon was Herbie's comment about general tendency of vehicle steering towards "LEFT" which is a security measure taken by manufacturer. To hell with that measure if it is so. It means my car was stopping due to brake pad of the right tyre alone:confused: & i was like aahh aahh wahh wahh, what wonderful brakes, What stopping power:A!! What a mental case, isn't it?

It's simple, braking is causing imbalance in your vehicle as 80% of the stopping power is coming from one corner of the car i.e. right tyre. What the hell steering is expected to do if not vibrate??

Anyways, i replaced both of them & immediately steering was ecstasy to hold at any speed under NA braking actions. Took it to a local Tire shop while returning home & got alignment done. Now it's perfect with car moving in straight's only & steering doesn't have any vibration what so ever. I am assured now that there is no other possibility if steering is vibrating under hard braking situation. Solution is obvious IMO. I will inspect the brake pads now after 5000-10000 KMs & check if they are equally worn out on either sides.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get the brake calipers checked. This is a symptom of both the calipers not working together as a team. A cleanup should do the job if the caliper piston is not seized.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Humm... Fantastic Gurjinder. Done!!
    I will get it checked now.
    But i must bring to your notice that they were strictly from different tires when uneven wearing is referred. It wasn't like two brake shoe's of the right tyre were unevenly worn out. They were exact at same level as they should be.

Also Just want your view on this, has EBD anything to do with it since it has tendency to activate/inactivate brakes based on a program? Obviously not to such an extent as in my case but it could cause different levels of wearing out depending on the driving style.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes, i did take that into notice. ;)

That's a good train of thought. Keeping in mind your enthusiastic and spirited driving style, i'm sure the EBD would be hard at work in your Punto and at time may apply brakes to one side of the car more as compared to the other ( depending upon the need).

But that's a long shot. Track driving might do that, not regular day driving.

Also, a simple check is brake with the hands off the steering. If the car pulls to either left or right, then the calipers are not working equally.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Fair enough Gurjinder! All i can say that EBD's have to be on their toes in my 90HP whether it's city or highway. What-else, I artificially create ultra sharp turns for myself even if it's a simple one so EBD also has to be 24X7 into action. That's why i thought like involved into this though it could hardly be a case under normal driving condition. I need a concrete conclusion from your end to make up mind for TASS visit. Anyways, after hearing that Caliper check advise, i got a bit restless as that didn't come to my mind earlier. So i analyzed the worn out Pads which i have brought back from TASS.
    I am attaching the pics which would surely help you to comment confidently. Let me tell you what i noticed. You can clearly see that pads of a single side are evenly worn out. i.e. calipers of one side are working in Sync.

however, if compared as a pair from different tires, you can clearly notice the difference. I think, it just fortunately be not a caliper's/piston choking case. Still i leave it to you based on your long term FIAT's experience. Pls note that i have to visit TASS if you declare it as Caliper's issue:(.
    Yes, also point to be noted that after Pad replacement & alignment, the car is maintaining itself strictly along a straight line whenever braked. It was maintaining straight line earlier too. It was just steering thrumming during brakes. Left side steering was noticed whenever steering is left alone on itself & not during braking. I hope, it just might escape the issue mentioned.

Right Pads 2.jpg Left Pads.jpg Photo793.jpg Right pads.jpg Right pads 1.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    You should be fine then.

If the steering doesn't tug either way when you brake with the hands off the steering, then just keep driving around like you usually do. It seems to be just the EBD AND the fact that you invoke the powers of the EBD so often. :)

Cheers.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Thanks Gurjinder, a sigh of relief now!! Still I suspect, EBD would have very limited affect on this, real reason looks to be that inherited leftward steering of FIAT cars, need some more references.
    I would request all TFIians to compare the Brake pads from front right & front left, whenever they get them replaced.
    Also a probability according to my observation, whenever their is a steering thrum (DURING BRAKING), pads should be worn out unevenly at opposite sides. Because of the difference of braking force applied on front two corners & the imbalance in steering.

@Ganges: You are the next one that i know of, who is close to change pads in near future.
    Pls keep this thing in mind when-ever you do & let us know your observations & conclusions. Pics will be appreciated.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    [/QUOTE]

Left drag is it normal/standard/security feature in FIAT cars ? and how this left drag is achieved by HPS ?

For Sure.
    But still i'm thinking ,why only left pad worn out,What the Hell EBD was doing ? is it not so much intelligent to apply equal brakes :confused again the question comes here how left drag is designed as security feature
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

how left drag is designed as security feature[/QUOTE]

It has to be market specific. More like traffic signals of a country specific. For right hand drive market like India, steering would be leftward. Similarly for left hand drive market, it should right ward. Possibilities of likely situations could be more than one, what if driver faints/fell asleep/steering failure/jam/over-drunk after a party/hard braking & loss of steering because of skid....god knows what else, the car would slowly pull towards left which will generally be an off road area. It won't steer right, jump the divider & hit some other innocent coming from opposite direction. Also during hard braking & skidding when steering is lost, it will pull towards left. Lot of accidents during night drive happens due to falling asleep. It makes sense.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    i have learnt today one more feature:) of handling,is this left drag(normal amount of left drag) for all the cars ?
    if left drag is achieved through steering, then the worn out of your brakes left pad was due to non-sync of brake callipers or not proper alignment of brake pads(left and right)?