1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sungoa2010

I have recently covered 900kms in a long trip. I now feeling the steering has little more play. The tightness has reduced. Earlier I use to feel the steering very tight in high speeds. It is almost 5000km that I have done the last alignment. Fluid level is perfect. What could be the reason?
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When i been to TASS the mechanic advised me to get wheel alignment for every 5k kms.
    But this should not relate with steering play.
    Can anyone explain how exactly the steering play is described(Humble Request) ?
    Punto is my first car and not driven any other car before except santro.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ganges, Whenever there is drastic relative velocity change but not at 110-120.
    By the way you can try one thing. It feels discs/drums are unevenly warped.
    how much has been the usage since last replacement?
    In case there is still enough life, take it to TASS. make them even with "Sand Paper" & polish a little bit.
    Problem should be sorted out. Try it during next visit. Although i don't think it's an issue under normal braking.
    It happens only when hard braking at very high speeds in my case.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have not done any replacement,got my punto in March-2011 and it has done 20K Kms.
    i will visit TASS otherwise i need to wait for 10K Kms for my next service.
    on undulated roads while braking the car moves vaguely here or there and steering wheel rotates :steering (in the animation if the person is removed and just imagine steering wheel,exactly the animated movement of steering wheel, i get the same when i move on the undulated roads)and i have to hold the steering hard:A and not much confidence while overtaking eventhough if i see a small pathhole due to such movement.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Steering Vibration, Do I need Hub Rings?

I have just changed my tires and Alloys for my Punto E+ and am facing some vibrations while I drive fast. I have got my balancing and alignment checked twice and everything seems right.

I have replaced my stock Apollo tires with Yokohoma C Drives and my OEM alloys with 15 inch 98PCD Evo Alloys.

The vibrations seem to apprear after 110kmph till around 125kmph and then reduce/stop afterwards.

My question is would I need to add Hub Centric Rings to my car to avoid this vibration or is this some other problem altogether?
    1 person likes this.
  6. If your balancing is correct, then this for sure is due to the Alloys. Hub-centric rings is the way out.
  7. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Thanks for your response. Any idea which would be the best place to get this done in Chennai?
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

It shouldnt have caused problem since you got yourself 98pcd and not 100 pcd.
  9. Anish_A

Hi Flywheel

If your balancing and tyre alignment is correct then the possibility of Steering Vibrations could be due to the non presence of Spigot Rings/Hub Centric/"O" Rings.
    Although from what i have read and understood the vibration should be uniform and should start at an later speed that what you have quoted in the topic.

It usually starts when you car reaches close to 60 KM/hr and continuous

A link from where you can order it online:

Hub Rings / Spigot rings for alloy wheels - HubCentric-Rings.com

A couple of members have ordered it from here and have got them also.

I live in bangalore and over hear most people selling alloys don't know what these rings are nor they give you until u buy the alloys from them.
    So Planned of getting it online. Should cost you less than 1500.

The Hub Centric rings are also available in ebay.co.uk if you can search for then correctly.

IMO: The most important is to know the dia of the alloy before placing the order.

By default the outer dia of the fiat is 58.1 (plz re check) so you will need the inner dia of your alloy before placing the order a 1mm difference can also cause vibration.

Please check and appropriately order them from ebay or the site link that i provided or possibly buy it directly from chennai.

If you get it in chennai plz so ping the contacts to me also.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sorry, Flywheel, I'm not sure on places in Chennai for this. I did these rings for my Palio in Coimbatore. You can contact vigneshram, he will be able to help you on this in Chennai.

Not really. The hub-centric rings are required for non-OEM wheels irrespective of the PCD.