1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

The best and more costly steering wheel mechanism are the hydraulic ones. Yes they need more maintenance and electronic power steering never ever needs any such maintenance.

Hydraulic steering is more lively and gives you perfect feedback. This mechanism is widely used in hoists, excavators, bulldozers etc due to precision and heavy duty.
  2. sungoa2010

Does steering should be tight in high speeds or a small amount of steering play is allowed?
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Even my car after the rack change I feel some vibrations in the steering.I feel little vibration on concrete roads and tar but more on the brick roads.I feel the vibrations after the rack change and also steering sway a little to the right on brick road with small portholes. But on even road no issues of steering swaying.

Can u explain me how the sleeve adjustment is done.Do they take the measurement or is prescribed by fiat.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. Gill

not really

what about fiesta, figo, getz, fabia
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    MODS NOTE- Thread title updated for greater relevance.

European Punto is even better I guess as it has a park assist feature. You can simply press a button that is there on the fascia just next to the rear defogger button and the steering becomes lighter at parking speeds. A nice feature esp for ladies who do not like the behaviour of HPS at parking speeds in general.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    with reference to above querry from sungoa would also like to know:-
    does the steering play includes the kick back from the tires on the bad roads ?
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Best way to analyze steering feedback & vehicles comparative stability is moose test. Let us assume that normal positioning of a steering is 90 deg at Y plane (with FIAT logo on steering absolutely horizontal & leveled to the X plane). Build up speed around 40-50 km/hr. tilt the steering in 45 deg. back and forth either sides to the perpendicular position (which is straight for the car). It should be quick with at least one pendulum swing/sec. The way car reacts will give you the perfect idea of steering feedback. One can put the bricks at regular spacing to check how quickly vehicle responds by swaying among them. You have test more than one vehicle to find out the positives of a particular vehicle as it gives you some reference point.

There are other preferable features that steering should get comparatively heavier while you are steering at high speeds. Electronic steering lacks character on this front & feels too light & less sensitive. If you are going over pot holes at high speeds, hydraulic steering does reflect some bumping back into steering but never to uncomfortable levels. If even at slow speeds with gentle handling, there is some problem. If you are suspecting anything in your Punto, better to test drive another one.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Yashik European Punto have Electric Power Steering hence the parking assist feature.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Not complete true. There are 2 types of EPS

Regular EPS & EPS with speed sensitive. Regular EPS is fitted M Alto,Wagon-R low budget cars.

EPS with speed sensing fitted on Swift,dzire & SX4. EPS with speed sensing becomes slight hard as per rise in speed. Yes low feedback is also seen in EPS with speed sensing.
  10. i drove my friends brand new fiesta classic diesel, i should say that the steering was much better than punto and the car even with just 68 hp never felt under powered and there is no turbo lag at all. I loved it i should say.