1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Yes, it is during light braking. It was initially low whistling, but I guess if it's so pronounced inside the cabin (with all windoes up), it must be sounding pretty loud outside.

Like I mentioned, more pronounced during bumper to bumper peak hour traffic and/or slopes. Have not heard it at speeds beyond 40 kmph.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Does it appear only when you lightly press the brake pedal? Or does it also come when you brake hard?

Only a thorough investigation of the brakes by a mechanic can answer these questions!

Cheers.
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Light braking only gurjinder.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Although it's not a problem per se, but for peace of mind and squeal free driving ask the dealer to replace the pads free of cost. The dealer should , ideally. But ideal TASS guys are only found in Timbaktu.

Google " Brake squeal at low speed" and you'll see every car from BMW, Toyota to Honda etc suffering it. It is advocated to use a brake lube paste behind the brake pads when installing to prevent it from vibrating. Since the squeal is nothing but a vibration of the pads.

Cheers.

P.S. I experienced the same low speed squeal on another car i was driving. Assuming the pads were a bit glazed, i stomped at the the brake from high speeds to wear out the pads a bit , and the squeal never came back. ;)

This was just a guess which worked , and i wouldn't recommend anyone to do the same.
  5. Tyres screeching while making turns

Guys, I was driving from Mysore to Mangalore, the road passes through some nice and famous ghat called Shiradi Ghat. The roads are awesome with not even a sing andulation or speedbreakers. I was driving rather enthustiastically when i heard some screeching noise from the tyres while making turns. A mahindra Logan was trailing behind me and i could not hear this sound from that car. I am having Yoko C drives which have logged close to 15 k now and still have got plenty of thread life in them. The noise was definitely from the tyres. The car was behaving perfectly on turns except for this noise, i mean there was a great steering feed back and the nose of the car was always in synch with the steering. I was not breaking at turns but this strange sound from the tyres is something i could not understand. Does this mean the tires were not gripping or struggling to find the grip? what is shocking is the logan behind me was having a thinner tyre and it was doing perfect without any screeching sound.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It's due to bad wheel aligment. I was also facing this issue little bit.Solved at 1st service after doing wheel alignment & balancing. If problem persist even after doing alignment, then some suspension parts are faulty
    1 person likes this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    @ chetan - it might also happen if the air pressure is more in the tyres. dont compare it with logan or its tyres. every car has different characteristics. the tread pattern is also very important and may or may not cause screeching sound on turns. it happens if the tyre is loosing a bit of grip.
    1 person likes this.
  8. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I have same yoko Cdrives in my car... I never observed any screeching sound from them.. Have completed 9K+ on them.. I think the issue here is the air pressure... Get it checked..
  9. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Mumbai
    I too face same problem on the ghat section of Mumbai -Pune expressway and on my visit to Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar. Mine are the OEM tires and got the wheel alignment checked before the trip on expressway. There is a lot of left drag in my car which despite the alignment hasn't been corrected so far.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Chethan,
    i also exprienced the same thing in Konkan ghats.. then by maintaining proper speeds at the curves i managed with the sound...
    i would like to know how was the curves ?

As your tires are also good, then the speed you maintianed at the curves is more than the road built for(banking of roads)(forget about the comparison of mahindra here,weight also matters)... at this point your car is struggling to find the grip.
    1 person likes this.