1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ok, I guess I will follow up and see if better alignment resolves this issue.
    Clash, can you tell me if this issue is now completely resolved, or is it that the car swerves but after a long time.
    I mean does it drive straight without holding the steering for about 100 mts?

Thanks,
    Anindyo
  2. sashank82

sashank82

Gurgaon
    @ Anindyo:

Even my car developed this problem after about an year. The culprit was a alignment guy who did my regular check-up - actually the machine shows the aligmnent to be perfect :confused:, however the car continues to swerves left...!

The trick is that you need to get to it in a 'trial & error' fashion. Get this guy on the car with you and do a drive on the highway and keep correcting it - having said that iam almost there, but the problem still persists.....:(
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I have to say, it is incredibly difficult to get a stretch of 100 mtrs road within Bangalore city without any banking. I tested the vehicle on highways and it was not swerving, after the alignment was done by TASS..

I have heard that the TASS itself recommends fiat owners to take their vehicles to other shops to get the alignment done. I feel you can try this option if TASS is not able to fix the issue.
  4. @Clash- Ok, If nothing else works out I will try out other places for alignment. Thanks for sharing your experience!

@Shashank- The person working on the alignment also is in the test drive. I guess if it is trial and error, then this will take time to get done. However if it doesn't get resolved at the workshop, I will resort to other alignment workshops. Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,
    Anindyo
  5. There is no problem with punto.....most of the roads are built with gradient to allow water to flow down when it rains.

So chill guys nothing to worry about..if your steering wheel does not rotate by itself but car pulls to left..then its definetly gradient thing...

Cheers..!!
  6. All,

The latest update on my Punto's situation is that, the service team has not yet been able to resolve the issue.
    They have escalated this to FIAT, and supposedly technicians from Fiat will come down to investigate.

They have asked me to wait for their call, and they will inform me when I should bring in the car again so the Fiat technicians can examine it.

@Aashish- I will not rule out that the steering also moves slightly, but I don't agree that the steering not turning means the issue is because of surface gradients.
    A car can swerve even if the steering does not budge from its position, because there is no back coupling in a hydraulic power steering system.
    A clear indication of this is, if the tire hits rock and turns to the left/right your steering wheel will not move along with the tire, it stays and responds to your inputs only.

Thanks,
    Anindyo
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    When passing over undulated surfaces, the steering, atleast the hydraulic power steering does move when our hands are not holding it.

Try going through rough surfaces with potholes with your hands off the steering. See it rock here and there.
  8. I used to think the Hydraulic power steering concept was supposed to eliminate coupling back of tire movements like they used to when steering systems were purely mechanical.
    I will try this out when I am going over real bad roads, it is true that we usually cling on to the steering wheel when going over bad roads.

Thanks for the pointers!

Regards,
    Anindyo
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ +1 .I have experienced this umpteen times!!

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

@ashish, if anyone suspects car pulling to the left, a simple way to confirm it is one should drive the car on wrong side of the road for a short distance (of course precautions need to be taken when doing this). If the car still pulls to left while driving in the opp direction then it obviously means its a problem and it wasn't due to banking of the road.
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ashish .. The same road, I have tested with different cars. But this is only happening with Punto (Maybe particularly my Punto). Your point can be true if the car pulls to the left very slowly after moving few 100 metres. But here in this case, when you leave the steering, within 100 metres it goes to the left. Bit more critical than you think my friend :)
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011