1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Aaron, did the car stand idle for quite a few days? Because the rotors are showing pitting and that happens when we leave the car standing for quite many days in adverse conditions.

Secondly, do check up on the condition of the brake pads. I suspect they've gone bad.

Shashank, do post some pics.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @gurjinder

Ya it was lying idle for a few days.And when applied brakes it used to make a grinding sound.So claimed warranty for both pads and rotors.
  3. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    i will posts the pics on saturday but as of now my discs look exactly like shown in pictures above by pioneeraaron.
    My car was idle for just a week and i noticed a lot difficulty in braking today morning. after driving some 60kms today it is little normal but whenever i am applying brake a loud noise comes and braking is not at all effective. planning to visit TASC on saturday as braking is the most imp. thing
  4. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    I used to get this dark black residue on my alloy discs, but over time this dark black color became brown (like dirt). Could that mean that my brake pads are about to wear out and its time to change them?
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    ^^ Very likely.. how far has your car run? Do get the brake pads checked and replaced if required.
  6. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    My car has done 18,000 kms. The braking efficiency doesn't seem to have been impacted, and the service center guys mentioned that the pads were good for another 4k kms. But I don't think I will take the chance and will replace it anyway. This place is very dusty and pads will get hard due to the weather very fast even if the service center folks clean them up nicely. Thank you for your advice.
  7. hello everyone, i too hearthe same sound from my brand new punto MJD, when turning the steering to extreme right or left when vehicle is not in motion.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    every hydraulic power steering makes this noise. its the pressure build up when the steering reaches its max point and there onwards the pressure relief valve opens to protect.

its suggested that one should not keep the steering tilted towards extreme when not necessary
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    guys he is not talking about humming noise which is heard when steering is turned to extreme directions both left and right which is absolutely normal behavior.

@RaviHedge, there is slight noise when turning steering but only appears in 30 degree range from center of steering wheel in both direction (left and right) when car is stationary. When this happens there is slight change in engine noise also.

It's not humming noise but change of load on engine which changes the engine note when ECU compensates for extra load of Hydraulic Steering Pump.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    My 90HPs front 2 alloys turned completly in black color. Is there any problem due to this? Do we avoid this using another disc pads.