1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Punto power steering humming noise

My Punto 1.4 FIRE (1.5 year old, 10k kms) makes mild humming noise when I turn the power steering when the car is not moving. This noise is similar to the humming noise heard when the steering wheel locks on one side when turning (like trying to turn it beyond locking point) but not that loud. I know turning the steering wheel when the car is not moving is a strain on the steering system. But sometimes when parking in tight corners I have to turn the steering wheel when the car is not moving. This noise is not heard when the car is moving - may be because it is not audible due to other noises of moving car or the steering gets lighter when the car is moving, hence no noise. Now the query - is mild humming noise of power steering normal or does it need attention/service? Thanks for your suggestions.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Check whether the power steering fluid level has gone down.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Power steering fluid level is between min-max marking - slightly below max marking.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The humming noise may come when you turn the steering to extreme right or left and you cannot turn the steering anymore. It goes off the moment you free it.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes, extreme right or left humming noise is easily noticeable and that seems to be a normal thing. When I leave the steering wheel noise stops too. But the issue I noticed is mild humming when I turn the steering wheel in middle position, say, turning few degrees left-right from centre. May be it is present in all cars with HPS? Very silent Punto may be making it easy to hear? I don't know. I will check with Tata service station this weekend. I just want to equip myself with as much knowledge as I can before going there because they may need some "guidance" to be able to do the right job!
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    yes ravi you are right. its the silent 1.4 which makes you hear the steering noise. i had also noticed this in the beginning but now am used to it. and btw the fiat steering definitely makes more noise than other HPS.
  7. sunil mehra

sunil mehra

ya am seriously thinking of going to higher levels and take it up with some senior engineers only thing is how do i find where these engineers are? Do you have any idea how to find a way to contact them?
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I had the same issue on my vehicle within 2 weeks of my ownership. The vehicle used to drag to the left. As it was very bad i took TASS and they checked the vehicle and confirmed the alignment issue.

The service fella, who took the vehicle for a test ride told me, Punto's are prone to this issue and getting the correct alignment is a tough task. He told me there are vehicles in which the issue get corrected in hours, but there are also some for which they struggle for days.

Thankfully my issue got rectified the same day i took the vehicle to TASS. Later on, i realized that there is a distinctive steering wobble between 90-100Km/h. Anyways it was not much of an issue so far as i never used to hit these speeds earlier. But soon it is going to be an issue :D

Do they always generate a report while doing the alignment at TASS. Is it rightful for me to ask them to give me the report?
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    even i had this issue from day 1. got it corrected at KHT motors. They took some time.. more than half a day to rectify it.
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Ask TASC to call engineer from plant as issue is not resolved. They have to call accordingly.