1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sunil mehra

sunil mehra

Fiat Punto Emotion

Hi everyone i am proud owner of a Fiat Punto Emotion which was bought in Feb 2011. The drive is a sheer pleasure and the handling of the car in all kinds of terrains has proved that my choice was a good one. However i am facing some problems which are not being resolved by the dealer workshop and i am now unhappy that theres no one to take care of such a good car. The car from day one had a tendency to pull towards the left and i have to literally keep holding the steering straight with my right hand which results in sprain after a long drive of 100 kms. The issue was highlighted in the first service and the workshop people tried their best to rectify the problem but wheel alignment was ok so they could not understand why the car was pulling to the left. Another punto which was the property of the workshop was taken for a test drive and same problem was noted. The service manager said that he will contact me after consulting with senior fiat engineers but so far its been four months and almost 10000kms on the road and still no sign of any solutions. Secondly i found that my height adjustable seat would automatically slip down in 3-4 days and i would have to readjust the seat height. I was told that they would order a new seat and replace the same but again no response so far. What do i do and to whom do i address this issues? The left pulling problem is a serious one and i want that it should be resolved as fast as possible. Please Help!!
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. sunil mehra

sunil mehra

thanks i need to know if someone from the technical team can help me with this . Can it be a tyre problem? i have got the wheel alignment checked somewhere else also and still same result. We tried rotating tyres but to no avail. I travel a lot on highways and love to drive at speeds above 100 where the stretch permits but the left pulling keeps bugging me and also painful as on a drive from delhi to nainital i am on the road for almost 6 hours so you can imagine the state of my shoulder and arm after that drive especially on the mountains. Please let me know if anything else needs to be checked for this problem.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. balancing??
    try geting the wheels balanced. also the steering must not have been in the center, tilted a little to the right.
    check if that is the case.

stop the car on a flat surface, put your steering in the center position and see it the wheels are facing front(forwards) or not
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @sunil mehra

If the car is still pulling after getting the wheels aligned properly and while driving on a level and flat road , then the suspension needs to be looked into. Faulty suspension components can cause a vehicle to veer to one side or the other.

Have the dealer thoroughly inspect the suspension and its components.

Gurjinder.
  6. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Hi Sunil,
    Where do you stay? If you stay near by Anand Vihar, take your car to Elegant Cars. Second option is a shop behind EDM mall. They are expert in alignmant and balancing.
  7. sunil mehra

sunil mehra

@nitini stay in south delhi nitin and i have already got the alignment checked at two of my known places who used to do a great job on my previous car so that option is already exhausted and moreover if the same problem is in other fiat punto cars then there has to be a problem either with faulty power steering or suspension.....but then i have to depend on the dealers technical team i.e. Autolinks, vasant kunj to look into these factors but they seem to have given up on it and seemed quite lost as to the cause of the problem...thats why i came here to see if i can get some more tips...

@gurjinder i have tested it on the flattest roads possible across the delhi moradabad highway and delhi dehradun highway and delhi jaipur highway but the left pulling in fact becomes more prominent on flat roads. Faulty suspension can only be looked into by the service staff at the workshop but they seem to be lost for clues to the problem.

balancing and alignment were done right in the beginning when i bought the car altho sadly was not done at the workshop during PDI i had to get it done outside as the wobbling was still there after they did it and as far as the center positioning is concerned it seems to show a perfect alignment visually as well as thru the alignment machine.....my suspicion is now going on tyres ...what if the treads are causing the left pull? is it possible?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
  8. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4
    i have heard that good year tyres have this problem. And one way to find out is to swap wheels i.e right to left and see if the car pulls right instead of left. I have this same issue right from the beginning mine is a may 2010 GP E+ i have not been able to get around it either. Alignment from various dealers outside as well as the authorized workshops did not seem to help. As far as tyres go..i cant comment as i have tried the swapping method i have mentioned and still have the slight pull to the left. However, since there seems to be no abnormal wear or any other issue..i just assume this to be a design flaw...rather a feature of this car and have made my peace with it.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thankyou cyberdoctorind. But in these forums somewhere i read that it is not advisable to use tubless with tube inside. How true is that? and why is it so?. Anybody please throw some light.
  10. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    The inner wall construction of tube less and tube type tyres are different. For tube less type, the inner wall is designed to retain air while that of tube type is designed for the tube to rest with out any friction with the tyre wall. So the life of the tube may be less when used on a tube less type tyre.