1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    New tyre got damaged

thank you guys for your warm welcome. yup i too got disappointed with that tyre burst. As i mentioned earlier it was a rainy day and the highway from kolkata to haldia is under construction. It was raining heavily and i was overwhelmed with joy as i was nearing my home (around 40 kms only left), so i didn't notice a pothole at the side of the road where there was a slight diversion. The front right tyre went in with a thud. I didn't feel any difference in my driving except for some increased road noise. I traveled like that for another km or so and i felt inside that something was wrong. So, i pulled over and found my front right side tyre was fully flat and i have been driving literally with the alloys only :eek:. Then i changed the spare wheel and reached home. The other day i went to a nearby workshop and found that there was a cut near the sidewall. He used the tubless puncture kit to fill the hole but later said it is not repairable. So, i asked him to put the tyre from the spare wheel into the alloy as the spare was steel rim. Charge 300 rs!!!! for that. Today i spoke with the dealer asking how a new tyre can get damaged. He said that it depends on the impact and i replied that if the impact might have been strong the wheel alignment and balancing would have been damaged and also the suspension could get damaged but nothing of the sort happened. Everything seems fine with the car. (I was trying to get a replacement) :wink:. Experts your opinion about this and your guidance solicited.
    p.s: @mods sorry got carried away from the responses i got. :D
  2. check if the wheel(rim) is not damaged
    then get yourself a new tyre.
    if there is impact then its not the company's fault
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But from the tyre manufacturing date i found out that it was manufactured only in the 2nd week of may 2011. How come such a new rubber get damaged from impact. I checked the wheel and no physical deformation found also, i dont find any abnormality in my driving comfort. The point is that the impact was not so strong otherwise it would have affected the performance of other parts say shockers etc.
    Just curious!!. How about writing to GOOD YEAR about this asking them explanation about the failure of such a new tyre?
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    hey sathish, sidewall cut in tyres due to big potholes is a pretty common occurrence. it can happen to any brand of tyre. n such punctures are r not repairable also.
    even i have faced one such puncture wherein the pothole was so big that my punto's bumper got misaligned and sump guard got bent. the tyre deflated instantly.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    thanks shams & srikaratulri. I understand that side wall cuts are common but what to do one cannot simply accept when such things happen to new products.
  6. satishgv
    its is normal for a side wall to get damaged during harsh riding(driven in pothholes)
    it happens some times... nothing can be done. just go on.
    buy yourself a new tyre.
    and fresh rubber does not mean it will not get damaged in an impact

drive safe.
    take care
  7. I have lost a brand new bridgestone turanza this way. Side wall patching does not help so running it with a tube in the Palio. See if you can use the damaged tyre with a tube as your car's stepney.
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    my black ogre has done 18,000+ kms and brake pads need to change.i wonder how some of the fiat cars are getting brake pads changed @ 30k kms,where as mine lasted for 18k kms.had discussed this with my service manager as per him mostly after 15k kms we need to change these pads.

no doubt i do hard braking most of the time.even i travel a lot on hilly roads where brake is the only refuge he-he..
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    well it sure is something fiat should look into rather seriously
    although my brake have lasted 30k, looks like i hardly brake(in comparison to varoon 22g) :p
    I still feel that the difference is quite significant, do braking habits make such a huge difference

guidance people
  10. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Yeah mine lasted a full 30k as well! Changed them at the 30k service although the service center said I can run with them for another 3-4k. I didn't want to take any chances and end up with damaged discs so asked them to change the pads.

Braking habits obviously make a difference and I know at least two Linea owners (not on TFI) who have run 35-40k on original pads. Driving in hilly areas or curvy roads mean you end up using a lot of braking force especially when going downhill which results in increased wear and tear. Plus if you are a sporty driver, more often than not you end up accelerating a bit and slamming the brakes to bring the car to a halt quickly, results in wear and tear as well and reduced life of pads.