1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Thanks, I haven't tried shaking it - but I don't think the sound will come if the car is stationary. I did my 1 yr service when I was at 12,000 kms but noticed the sound only more recently (at around 15,000 kms).
  2. Whoa! We got the bent alloy repaired!

I'm super duper excited to let you all know that we got the bent alloy wheel repaired for just Rs.450 from a metal and welding industries namely 'Madhu Industries' near Calicut. :clapping :clapping

Initially, dad was against repairing the alloys as the process involved hitting the alloys with hammer as he worried whether it would damage the alloy further! :p That said, we went in search for used FIAT OE alloys. But, we had to opt against buying used alloys as majority of the sellers were quoting prices which were more or less similar to the cost of new OE alloys! We're again in two minds. :hit

The endless discussions among us and with various tyre shops, ended up in the above mentioned alloy repairing centre, 35 kms away from our home. But, we forgot to take the alloy with us as we're travelling in our tin box aka Waggie! We're literally shocked to see an alloy(which had crushed into pieces) repaired by him! Yeah, it looked as if it was taken out of the manufacturing plant!! We just made our mind that we'll be getting the alloy repaired by him!

But, wait! That night we got a call from a tyre dealer that there is an alloy repairing centre which is just 15kms away from home! We changed our plans, over again! ;)

The very next dad, as dad and me were engaged with work and studies respectively, we assigned the job of getting the alloy repaired (from the alloy repairing centre nearer to our home) to a driver whom we know for several years. But, he ended up visiting both centres as the first centre was closed. :hit

Total distance travelled : ~ 100 km
    Fuel expense : 100 * 4.2 = Rs. 420
    Driver expense : Rs. 250

Total expense : Rs. 1120.

Mr. Madhu has done a great job! It took him nearly 3/4 hours to finish the job! We're able to get the wheel balanced with ease and the car is wobble free now!! Now, let the pictures do the talking! :p

NOTE: All thanks to the FIATians for letting us know that the bent alloys can be repaired! Special thanks to SrikarAtluri and cyberdoctorind. You guys rock!

DSC06163-1.jpg

DSC06156-1.jpg

DSC06164-1.jpg

DSC06162-1.jpg
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    This definitely is good workmanship. Wonder anyone like that is there around here... just in case
  4. @King Class / srikaratluri - thanks for the info on alloy bend repair.

I am facing bend issue on 3 alloys :( Apparently these are tiny bends but things are worse above 70km/hr. Was planning to go for new set of alloys with no intentsion to buy FIAT alloy as they seems not to be good with Indian roads (so many issues reported) and far too expensive. FIAT rejected my claim to replace it under warranty saying rough use on bad use caused! The complaint is still open with FIAT/TATA.

Yesterday, while returning from Ernakulam, I saw a set of Punto alloys at a smoke testing centre (b/w Kadavanthara and Vytilla). Due to traffic I was not able stop by and check but noted his mobile no: and rang him. This guy repairs bend/crack cases. Dude says FIAT, VW are the major brands with alloy issue. If mine is repairable, I might give a try. In parallel looking for good set of alloys :)
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. Well thanks to the Brazilian make of alloys for Fiat.
  6. pradz

pradz

Mysore
    Steering wheel wobbling

hey guys, i have been having thise weird problem. My linea's steering wobbles, shakes, at speeds above 100kmph.. its more when i let go off the accelrator.. dunno wats the prob the service center ppl told tht alignment n balancing was done before the car was delivered.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Get wheel alignment and balancing done, from some reliable place.
  8. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    Alignment / wheel balancing and check your brakes. Mostly it should be the alignment or wheel balancing.
    Try on different roads too.
  9. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    cud be the alloys
  10. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    hi,

I am also facing a problem of 3 bent alloys on my punto . I was thinking to go for steel rims and wheel caps as i do not think fiat alloys would work fine for a good amount of time even after repairing . what say...??