1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Tron

Tron Superiore

its water getting black due to brake dust. Not a new issue to be worry of. Our brake pads make black powder kinda dust which spread all over the rims . In your case you have emotion variant so you have steel rims on your car which hide brake dust. If you observe a linea/punto with alloys you'll notice that black kinda powder on rims. When you wash them of it looks like black water. Dont worry your car is OK!
  2. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Thanks guys.... :)
  3. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Strange feeling from Puntos Brake Pedal

Hello All,
    Around 3 weeks back I had gone to Kasauni from Nanital via Almora. The road was a nightmare for Punto as I guess due to some landslides it had become very bad. In that stretch my Punto must have botommed out almost 20 times. Somewhere or the other the bottom kept on hitting but still I had to go ahead. No matter how slowly or at what angle I tried , I still could not avoid the hits . Strangely my friends wagonR which has a lower ground clearance and smaller wheels than Punto, managed to do it with less hits :( ...Anyways thats not the point here.
    . After one such hit I got a strange feeling in my brake pedal when I pressed the brake. The feeling I got when pressing the brake was as if something came in between the brake pedal and the brake and quickly moved away. Thereby it was perfectly ok for almost the whole of the trip. I thought it was the ABS kicking in ; though it was too strong a feeling for the ABS . After that I did not have that feeling throughout the trip and also when I came back .

Recently after almost 3 weeks, when I was coming out of my office , at around a speed of 10-15Km/hr on a concrete road ; when I pressed the brake pedal lightly I got the same feeling as if something was coming in between ; and I am pretty sure that it was not the ABS since the feeling was very strong and at 10 km/hr on a concrete road there is no point of the ABS kicking in I think ?
    After this I tried to replicate the sitiuation by trying to brake at various speeds uptill 50km/hr..both on turns and wet roads , but there was no such feeling and the car was perfectly stopping. WHen I tried to "screech" halt on roads at around 40km/hr , I could feel a ghad ghad sound..which I guess was from the ABS kicking in but nowhere did I get the strange feeling.
    Can any one comment on that ? can it be due to some problem caused by the bottom hits ?There is no warning light on the MID. The feeling from the brake pedal is kind of scary . My car is about to complete 10K Kms and is a Punto 90hp.
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I reckon get your brakes bled at the service centre and then see if it still exists.

One symptom also points to a potential issue with the brake booster.

5. vivek
    are you talking about the vibrating sort of feeling you get when the brake pedal is pressed??
    likr a plate or block is in the hydraulic pipe and some little loss of pressure??
    bottoming and abs are unrelated i guess..
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Vivek & srikaratluri what is the year & month of manufacture of your punto ?? Why I am asking you is even I am having this similar problem. But till I read this I didnt took it serious. Even I felt this at a speed between 10 & 15 only. It's while braking and almost you bring the car to stand still. I happened to notice this when I am taking a very small road and about to slow down before a very large hump (Have to take it very slow to avoid hitting the engine guard). At this point I feel like something is hitting the brake pedal. I even doubted whether by brake pad had worn out. Mine is Dec 2010 model. Even though chances are less I was just wondering if this is a problem with a particular series of cars .. Now the biggest problem is to convince the TASS fellows pheww...
  7. that is due to air comihg in i guess.. I have no issues but my dad's car had it. Got it resolved recently
  8. royj

royj Esperto

This reminds me of the brake hardening issue faced by some 1.2 owners..
    So as Gurjinder diagnosed, this could be a potential problem with Brake Booster. Have it checked.
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

@Cinju , my car is june2010 manufactured and i bought it in dec 2010.What you describe is exactly what I observe. I will take it to TASS and see what they say. Llike Gurjinder said.. might be some problem with brake boost. However you are right in the fact that its hard to convince TASS of a problem that is not "visible". More often than tht they usually try to justify the stuff...even if its visible :(
    @srikaratluri even I too think that botomming and ABS are unrelated stuff but the point at which it started happening was when there was lot of bottoming.. and you dont need speed to experience this. It can happen at very low speed as well .
  10. gods-envy

Ok, now evyerone vouches by the 14" on 185 or 195 rubber.
    How about 195 rubber on 16" alloys. I know this improved the look of the car vastly, but do you guys think it's recommended?

The ride quality is on the harder side and the steering even more heavier, but is there any other issue with it?
    Do you think it's ok to go for one?