1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Cinjith, dont be sad man. Upgrade whenever it suits you.

I'm quite biased toward 14's than 15's.

14's with 185/70 or 75 rubber would be ideal to handle our roads. Plus it'll make the ride that much more comfortable. Would like to hear Royj's comments on this.

Gurjinder.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Gurjinder.. this is where even I am confused.. Is it really necessary to upgrade from 14 " to 15 " alloys ? Will there be any improvement in the ride quality apart from the looks. ? One fact is the 165 /80 R14 gives the best ground clearance /ride height in the stock tyres of Punto. (http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp )
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    I'd say go for the combo which provides the max ride comfort.

To me thats more important than appearance or better cornering/steering response.
    Plus another benefit of opting for 14's is that it'll save some $$$ too.

What are the tyre choices in 185 70/75 R14?

Gurjinder.
  4. gods-envy

gods-envy

Bangalore
    Cinju, My E+ rides on 195/60 R15 and my friend's is 185/70 R14 and trust me, my friend's car feels more comfortable to drive in the city. My car's steering feels lot heavier in comparison. Go for the 185/70 on 14" alloys itself.

The tyre choices are JK(3.9k), Falken(not sure of the price), Bridgestone(4.3k, not sure which variant), Good Year(3.8k), Apollo(3.6k), Yokohama(4.1k).
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Combo ??I didn't get that. When I checked Bridgestone's website they have the following options
    185/70 R14 88H
    185/70 R14 88S
    195/60 R14 86H
    195/65 R14 86H & 89H
    195/70 R14 91H & 95H

There are more in the list . http://www.bridgestone.co.in/tyre/tyreselector/bysize/index.asp

Thanks mate... That was a very frank expression..
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Aaah!! Sorry Gurjinder/Cinju, I was sleeping!! :uh

Gods-envy, we are here to help anytime.

Gurjinder, you were speaking out the exact thoughts I had on rim and tyre size when I decided to get 14" alloys for my Punto.
    I had spent several weeks weighing between 14" and 15" wheels, but finally settled for 14" for the same reasons.
    Any way we are not going to take corners with our car at speeds above 90kmph and so better to cover the rims with some thicker rubber and also save some money in the process.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    @royj

Yes exactly.
    And it does help your suspension too. Thicker rubber absorbs more road imperfections , thereby transmitting less stress to the suspension components , enabling a comfortable ride and helping longevity of the suspension.

So, its a win win situation really. The practical approach is the right one here.

@cinju The alloy-tyre combo.
    Since the size has been deliberated upon extensively, only the tyre discussion remains. Whenever you survey the market for the tires , let us know and we'll try our bit to help you out.

Gurjinder.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Sure Gurjinder.. Anyway I am in touch with Roy too regarding this ...We are also trying to gather our members here for the TFI meet. Even though there are many number of FIATS here, very few are members of TFI. Once the 'M' factor is resolved I will be getting back to you guys .. Thanks..
  9. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    black fluid from tyres while washing ??

Whenever I spray water onto my car's tyres,I observe the water gets black as if I am washing out diesel or black oil.
    Is this normal ? or is indicative of any oil leaks ?

-Srijit
  10. Is it only in front, if yes it is the dust from breakpads, nothing to worry about.