1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gods-envy

gods-envy

Bangalore
    Yes Gurjinder, he has just changed the alloy and retained the original tyres as it had just run 5k.
    Can I not get an alloy that would fit the stock tyre?
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Please check the rim width of the alloy (the 'J' number)
    The 165/80 tyre is a good fit on 4.50J , 5.00J , 5.50J
    This rim must be 6.00J or 6.50J. Ask your friend to upgrade to 185/75 R14 or 195/70 R14 profile tyres if he is facing any issues.
    Gurjinder, 185/65 R14 will result in a too small diameter and can result in bottom scraping.
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    See, 165 width tyre is not really the tyre for the Punto. FIAT put it in a bid to maximise mileage etc, but the car deserves nothing less than 195.

You'll have to check with the alloy dealer for a more compatible alloy, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Strap on some nice new tyres on it.

Gurjinder.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    OMG ..Even my upgrade plan was with the stock tyres... I think I should better be waiting till the tyres worn out and go for R 15 alloys or R 14 alloys with 185/70 R14 tyres . Will all alloys have this problem with the stock tyre of 165/80 R14 ?
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    These appear to be 6J alloys. Your friend needs to put wider tyres. 195 would be better.

By the way, I'm curious to know as to why didnt he go for 15 inch 6J alloys from the aftermarket? Most probably he wanted to retain the stock tyres. But thats a bad move I'd say.

Are these alloys 100PCD or 98PCD?
  6. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    your friend needs to upgrade the tires this is unsafe
  7. this is unsafe..
    ever seen an f1 tyre getting punctured?
    all the rubber going to a single side...
    this might happen if your friend like me. high speed cornering. upgrade tje tyres or get thinner alloys.
    i would suggest fo for the first. upgrade the tyres
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    OT@Royj

Point taken mate. 185/70 R14 seems a better match.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    You are right. 185/70 R14 is a closer match. I was biased to the higher side.

This problem will happen if you go for 6.00J or 6.50J and 165/80 R14 stock tyre, and most of the 14" alloys come with this rim width. So better to upgrade to wider tyre when changing to Alloys.
  10. gods-envy

gods-envy

Bangalore
    Thanks all,
    I think the alloy size is either 6J or 6.5J.
    And they are 100pcd, not 98.

I know that people drill the hole slightly to make a 100pcd compatible with a Punto, but this guy did not do any drilling and it was a direct bolt-on, so I am really confused about the PCD of the alloy.