1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Tyres/Alloys

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nitinkumardba, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    brakes are like consumables wear/replacement at 15000km doesn't look odd to me . brake wear depends upon driving style and type of environment . brake pads last more at humid atmosphere and wear out fast at dry and sandy areas..
    morever brakes are highly safety oriented parts and early recommendation for a change should be for well being.

technically, stiff brake pad materials which do not wear fast will wear out the brake discs which is highly undesirable but bit more softer brake pads gives better friction hence better braking.

i find my fiats brakes highly effective and reliable compared to most of other brand cars and i am happy with it too.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Jayadev- seems you have no idea of product life cycle of brakes. with all the variables considered brake pads on other cars do not wear before 35-40k kms minimum.

on my maruti which brakes equally good the brake pads were good even at 65000 kms.

check the thread below.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...ign-change&highlight=fiat change brake design

even the service advisors say that the fiat brake pads wear out very quickly.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    No harm in trying but I am not sure about wheel balancing in such an alloy. I'm not sure if it would lead to wobble free drive if used for daily basis rather than a spare tyre.

Just my 2 cents.
  4. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

My brake pads are @ 28k kms now. I would say it depends on your driving style. I know a friend , a fast driver who has replaced brake apds @ 12k kms.
    I would recomment you to have a check on your driving style also
  5. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Repairing an alloy is a very difficult task. Not many people can get it right. In my case, one of the alloys was bent from the inside (the affected area was probably one inch long). I was about to replace with a new one when I came across an expert in this in Delhi (referred by a friend). I thought I'd give it a try since I was anyway looking to buy a new one. But to my surprise, what a fab job was done by this guy. I couldn't find even the slightest hint of any deformity on the alloy when it was delivered back to me. I have run my car for 25k kms after the repair with no issues in handling, abnormal tyre wear etc. Tyres will easily last another 10k (car is at 34k+ now).

Contact cyberdoctorind who may have a reference for you. Take a chance on it since you will anyway need to change it.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

I changed mine at 22K, and I tend to drive a bit aggressively. Though I would have liked them to stay on till around 35-40K, I am not unduly worried about it as of now.
  7. @nkapoor
    Even i was under the same impression.. Any way i would be buying a new alloy later.. No harm trying to get it back into shape..

Will try straighten it out. If that cant be done, then i will get the balancing done.
  8. Yes sir you can.

Somehow with the new forum software tapatalk does not list unread topics. mods are you listening
  9. cyberdotorind

sir when should i call you?
    will you be free after 11 tomorrow?
    the steering is wobbling/vibrating once i cross 80.
  10. Went for FIAT's free check-up camp along with idea of checking alloy/tyre issue. Service centre informed that FIAT official will be there but unfortunately they were not!

We drove the car after replacing it with a new set of steel rim and tyre (165 profile) and the wobbling issue noticed during drive was not there. The service personal put back my alloy/tyre set and raised the car to show the bend while tyre rotation. Well, when the tyre rotates we can see flashing non-regular circle in inner wall. It’s there in four alloys :(

The service personal also mentioned he had tried to claim two other similar issue with FIAT but was rejected saying its not manufacturing issue. Service personal said don't go for FIAT alloy as they are not of good quality and expensive (10k with tax).

I am raising this quality issue with FIAT as the alloy seems not fit for Indian roads with many people facing this issue. Can we start a poll to check how many FIAT (Punto and Linea) is facing similar issue (not sure how to do that!)?