1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. saroshmk

saroshmk

Hyderabad
    Dr. Stephen,

I purchased my 2012 Linea in March too. I hear the same noise. After pushing the service center for a few weeks, i got them to identify the source of the issue. The spot welding in the C-Pillar is defective at a few places. In my car this is affects both left and right pillars. The service centre told me that they need to take out the rear glass and the quarter glass on the rear windows to rectify the weld. This is risky as there is a chance of the glass pane breaking. They were waiting for FIAT to respond with the operating procedure. It has been more than 4 weeks and I am still waiting. I have made several calls to the customer helpline and have raised written complaints.

This is certainly a manufacturing defect and I am not sure why Fiat is sitting tight on this.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I will get mine checked at TASS in a week or two. Will report the findings. something is loose inside the door panel for sure. Why are you calling Fiat. Slightly OT, but the PDI sticker on car says PDI completed sometime in 2010. It is manufactured in 2012 though. They are not perfect at what they do, but they are as close to perfection as you can get in India. No other car is free from rattles mate or some other issues. Just get it checked at TASS and let me know what they did about it.
  3. sidhu

sidhu Timido

punjab
    i have the same sound from front left side on my punto,on bad roads.but today i attented free check up camp at service centre at my city...they said left elastic pad needs to be changed.part not available so have 2 wait....
  4. arunbabujose

arunbabujose

Guys,

I had the rattling sound from the front right seat and rear (dont know exactly where its from) . As someone told if someone is sitting in the rear and front left these soounds wont be there..

dont know what to do.. had taken this twice with RF motors kochi, but solution.. :(

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Guys,

I had the rattling sound from the front right seat and rear (dont know exactly where its from) . As someone told if someone is sitting in the rear and front left these soounds wont be there..

dont know what to do.. had taken this twice with RF motors kochi, but solution.. :(
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Possible reasons for Rattles in 2012 Puntos-Need suggestions for 1st Check up at TASS

I finally managed to book an appointment with TASS to get the rattles checked. It is this Wednesday. I was wondering if they would join me for a test drive, only then I can replicate and explain all the rattles and noises. I am taking it to Tafe, Chennai and have spoken to Mr. Tenzing.

I need help in explaining what all need to be checked. The door rattle is now established as an issue wiith all 2012 Fiats so I will ask them to open the door panel. For the dashboard, windows, roof rattles; I have noticed they are accompanied by poor ride quality and a sound from the front suspension.

To sum up, I could ask them to check:
    1. Suspension
    2. Wheel Alignment / Balancing
    3. Loose parts in door panel etc.
    4. What else could be the possible culprits? Is the suspension setup harder or softer on 2012 Puntos?
    5. There is also excessive noise from the tyres/under the chasis. Will an underbody coating help cut this noise out?
  6. Hi Relativity,

I did take it to TAFE couple of weeks back for AC water flooding into cabin. He acknowledged few batch of 2012 vehicles had this problem.

He acknowledged that left door rattle is also reported in 2012 vehicles . He told me he will set it right, i thought to live with it, since its not too disturbing and i don't hear it when i push the volume of ICE. Why to disturb the factory fitting- May be i will listen from you how your fix went .

The sound from front suspension, he removed all wheels and cleaned the brake pads and refitted it, He said he will re torque it with the torque wrench for required torque of the bolts. The sound vanished when i did a TD with him and latter it reappeared after a weeks time, though this time intensity is reduced. I heard from our Ramesh sir, it will vanish with time, over 5K kms. So had decided to live with it.

Wheel Alignment / Balancing if its free you can do it - I don't feel its worth the salt doing it there, guys are very casual rather with callous attitude there, any professional tyre alignment center will give you better results. The machines there are also not too great.

Yes suspension in 2012 is stiff than its predecessor, My neighbor owns a FTA 1.4 FIRE Linea 2011. I found his vehicles suspension much softer than mine. His driver told me that my suspension is made stiffer so that it doesn't hits the potholes and engine guard scrapes harder by the swing. Increasing GC and making a stiffer suspension is the answer to the problem of poor GC and engine guard scraping the road is his version. - Valid logic. I believe suspension also would mature by running few thousand kms. Its too early since none of our 2012 vehicles have not lived even 6 months mark.

Yes tyre noise is there - Whats your stock tyres ? My friend with OB Punto complains the same. I run on Good Year Eagle NCT -5 , I tell you its a rice mill on the roads if i open the window on highways. - High decibel warning :) But its got the much needed grip. so decided to live with it. I did 3M underbody coating - They claimed it had sound deadening, i felt a little less noise after it. - not a big relief though.

I have learned to live with the so called niggles of the FIAT - My married friend sarcastically remarks, that i had done a good choice of buying a FIAT before marriage, it trains one to be a good husband :) by living with the niggles and trains enormous patience within and despite niggles - we love it so much and put up with it :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Very interesting indeed. So, I will not do the alignment/balancing at Tafe and will ley them complete the other checks. If required, will take it to XL Wheel point on the beach.
    My friend drives a 2011 Punto MJD 75 HP and I drove that to compare. The suspension is very soft and it just glides over potholes and stuff. There were absolutely no rattles either.

I have also noticed and have been advised by others here that tyre pressure plays an important role and that Fiats are very sensitive to it. I have tried some combination and would appreciate some advice on a few other possible combinations:

1. 32 on all 4 tyres - Very rattly and uneven ride
    2. 30 on all 4 tyres - Much better ride quality, less rattles
    3. 30 on front & 32 on rear OR 32 on front and 30 on rear - which ones sounds correct? will try one of these today.
    4. The recommended pressure is 32. Would it be safe to try 28 on all 4 tyres?
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I always got the best alignment/balancing from TAFE for my Punto as well as Linea. Sometimes, their job is even smarter than the one done by outside tyre shops. Most of my alignment issues are rectified by them.

Regarding the tyre pressure, for the full load you can opt for 32 on all 4 tyres. For single ride, 29 on all tyres will give you good ride quality.
    1 person likes this.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    +1 to Ramesh, try TAFE they did perfect job in alignment and balancing and better than Lal's
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You are absolutely right prabu.

When I test drove the 2012 Linea, I surely felt that the suspension is stiffer than my 2011 Linea.

@Relativity, when you go to Tafe, insist for a TD with Tensingh and report him the rattling noise experienced by you. Most of the time he identifies the root cause and rectifies them.
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.