1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    The Vacuum Brake Boosters are designed in such a way that the driver can make several stops in the events like the engine stops running or a leak in vacuum hose. It has a check valve which restricts the entry of air in the vacuum booster in such events. Hence the brake does not become hard instantly.

However if the ignition is off for little more time then the brake booster doesn't work and the brake becomes very hard. I have experienced this in my Punto Active ( while parking at very low speed and not on the roads :) )
    1 person likes this.
  2. raj_90hp

raj_90hp

Mumbai
    well, the noise is nowhere related to the steering. I could not test whether it increases with steering input as the noise only starts above 60 kmph.

Appreciate your concern buddy, I did try to be as safe as possible.

As i said, the noise is present even after the engine is switched off, so I dont think it can be an engine noise.

Yes, you are right. Its a humming noise.

Now that worries me. How can switching off the engine affect the components?
    Are you saying that many Puntos have this wheel bearing issue? If yes, then I am actually relieved as I was thinking that this happened because of my after market alloys!
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Sorry Raj, I missed that para of your post .Put the car on a ramp and rotate the wheels and you can find out which bearing is gone.

Abdul
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Raj

Don't switch off engine while car is in motion. At the speed of 60-80 km/hr RPM of turbo goes upto 5-10 lacs RPM.

If you switch off engine at high speed,first your turbo may damage.

Always run the engine for min. 1 minitue idle before switching off engine on highway cruise

Power steering becomes hard. ABS doesn't work if you put engine off

BTW problem seems faulty wheel bearings.
    As W bearing is friction part. So there is no life assurance for friction parts.

You will get it replaced in warrantee claim
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Well nothing like that but as bhai said, its a frictional pair from hub so wear & tear of bearing can not be question as why so early? Some time it just happens.

Yes, to make sure put your car on ramp & rotate wheel by hand. You will notice that sound.

About after market alloys, no harm in that but these extreamly smart...opps! Did i say smart? My bad! extreamly dumb a*s SAs might point it out on your rims but dont digest it as it really dosen't make any sense.
    For a safe game if you can get those stock alloys/steel rims, put em on your car, visit TASS & get bearings changed.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    first of all check the air in all the wheels. then make sure they rotated your tyres correctly. idiot TASS may rotate it chris cross like the tata cars instead of front back pattern on fiat cars. since this has started after service i suspect this.

last but not least if the wheel bearings are gone make sure you take your car to TASS with stock rims and not aftermarket alloys. i bet you dont want to loose warranty on bearings, suspensions, link rods etc :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If the noise persist after turning off the engine then somethings related to wheels.
    Make sure something is not stuck between Rotors of the front wheels. in my punto once a pebble got stuck while passing over newly paved tar road it gave a screaching noise and did give me too much of tension .

Else the drone sound can be contributed by the condenser fan which can happen if Tass messed up the fan blades.
  8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Its the bearing noise and will be recified FOC. I had the same problem on the front left side, and the bearing was replaced.

Kiran
  9. raj_90hp

raj_90hp

Mumbai
    Yikes! Damaging the turbo is the last thing that I want. Thanks mate.

Sadly, I dont have the stock alloys with me, I have sold it off.

Now since you mentioned this... yes, the TASS did rotate the tyres & wheel alignment in the service. But can wrong rotation of tyres cause booming noise?

I did check the wheels, nothing seems to have stuck in between.

Problem is - i assume your car had stock wheels. My car has aftermarket wheels. I doubt FIAT will entertain my warranty claim.

Guys, if the wheel bearings are kaput, will it affect the acceleration of the car?
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes wrong rotation of tyres with flipped tread pattern will cause booming noise.
    damaged wheel bearing will not cause any significant acceleration loss.

first check the tread pattern. then try to swap diff new tyre upfront and check the boomy noise. if it still persists then its the wheel bearing.