1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. nav75

nav75 Amatore

As my driving is a bit less and is mostly out of city roads, couldn't hear this before(if at all it was there).

Recently when I started to drive to office, while driving in the office basement (no external noise), when I was going over those small speed breakers, at crawling speed in 1st, when the front wheels would go over it I hear some "hiss" kind of noise (coming from front suspension - when they would compress while going over the bump). Noise is something like a quick release of some air. It comes only from front side only.
    Checked carefully while going over any speed breaker, this noise comes most of times.

Anyone else has experienced it?
    Any suggestions?

Car & Model: Punto 1.4 EPack, July 2009.
    Odo reading: 14,500km's

2. Raj21

Raj21 Novizio

squeaks and other niggles GONE !

Guys, I'm a happpy camper now.... I took my car to the first service and they fixed all the things I have asked for as of now...No squeaks or rattles yet....Hooray !!!!
  3. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Not as yet. Did you find a solution?
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Yes, the solution is to keep the arm rest folded up :-(
  5. Ranjan R

Ranjan R

I have had the problem since the time I got my car(June 2011). The tata servuce guys replaced a strut, but the cery next day, instead of the earlier creaking noise, there was a defenetive thud coming from the front suspension. After visiting the station 3 times, they have agreed to replace the front suspension arms.It costs Rs29,000, which I said i will not pay. Reluctantly they have agreed to replace as 'Goodwill'.

Will keep you posted.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

ASS have agreed to replace brake booster under extended warranty have to wait till the part arrives. Hopefully it would arrive by 7 Feb
  7. raj_90hp

Booming noise at speeds - Resolved

Guys, after the second free (15k kms) service, I am suddenly feeling my 90 hp has become very noisy. My car has run only 12500 kms in one year.

I hear a constant drone as it crosses 60 kmph. Its not kind of a diesel engine noise but its a constant booming/thrumming noise. If I remember, my car was very silent till 110 kmph earlier.

To check whether its an engine noise or some other issue, I took it to an empty stretch. The road is not being used by public as it leads to a dead end & then at 80 kmph, switched OFF the engine & yes, the noise persists even after the engine is OFF. It gradually decreases as the speed decreases (even with engine OFF).

The noise is irrespective of the engine rpm or which gear the car is in. It starts at 60 kmph & then increases with speed. So I guess, it must be the wheel bearings. What could be the reason?

1) Can the wheel bearings go kaput so early in its life?

2) I have aftermarket alloys but they are stock spec (98 PCD, 4 holes) with OE tyres, so can that be the reason?

3) If at all its the wheel bearings or something related to that, will FIAT play nasty with the warranty?

I am giving my car to Fortune Motors, Powai since it is very very close to my place.

P.S.: By the way, discovered a new feature in the Punto. SURPRISINGLY, the brakes were working even after the engine was switched OFF. I mean I needed absolutely no pressure, the brakes were just like before.

I have read that in SOME cars, even after the engine is switched OFF, the brake booster does work, atleast for 2-3 times. I can confirm that in Punto, it does.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Does the noise increase when the steering is turned right or left?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

You have discovered a feature you are not meant to actually. Dont ever try to switch off the engine when the car is in motion. the steering will lock up or will be very difficult to steer as the power steering will not function. Well you have done a bit of testing, but there maybe others who might just try it at higher speeds. God forbid.

If your engine has become a bit noisy, you can check whether the rubber bellow connecting the air filter to the bonnet inlet is in place. Its a short rubber pipe. Sometimes it comes off from its perch and the air silencing is not done.

10. Tron

Tron Superiore

raj_90hp, bro seems like its wheel beareing problem. Try to find out, exactly from which wheel its coming from. I think its kinda humming sound isen't it?

About your test, please i strongly suggest you , not to try switch off engine. It may cause ill effect on engine & other components.

If wheel bearing is faulty, don't worry about warrenty. Many guys facing bearing problem & FIAT too replacing it in warrenty. So don't worry about it.