1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    You can shift to reverse in the morning provided u should press the clutch for 2seconds and then shift to reserve.This would avoid grating of the gears i.e krrr sound.Written in the manual also!!
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is just a belief, today!

Just make sure that the car is absolutely stationary before attempting to slot in the reverse gear. Else

-You'll attract some hideous glances from passerby's for the odd "krrrrrr krrrrr" sound coming from your car.:p
    -The gear dogs on the reverse gear will slowly start their journey to R.I.P.

Feel the gears as they move around. You won't go wrong this way!

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I wanted to know something.

If I am driving in 3-4-5 gears and if I see that there is a signal ahead or a bump ahead or for any reason I have to stop the car, I shift the gear directly to the neutral and let the car run on in neutral until I have to stop the car. I always thought this is a good practice, since it may save some fuel. But, few days ago, a transport guy told me that it's not a good practice and it may impact gearbox, you should go in sequencial manner i.e.e change gears 5-4-3-2 and then stop. Not sure, whether he was right or wrong. Any idea ?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Not required. You can slot in any gear as our gear systems are not sequential. Read the wiki page link in this thread given by Rajeev. It is very useful and gives a lot of details.
    1 person likes this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

The ideal way would be to cruise in the top gear as much without the engine shuttering, to the stop signal. If you go by the MID in a Punto, the IC figures will read as 50kmpl thereby implying that the fuel has been shut out when you take your foot of the pedal. If you reduce the gears the fuel supply will still continue and you can see some very low IC figures. If you coast in neutral then the idling consumption will continue and show a lower figure, Check it out.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The transport guy is mistaken and confused.

Its a good practice, rather the best practice to coast to the lights/ stop in neutral. Will help your brakes, and improve your efficiency figures also.

Cheers.
  7. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    I have this problem with wipers... both the wipers produce a screech kind of a noise and wobble at the end of the stroke (when they go back to the original position),and this happens after a few minutes of usage in rains. Once this starts coming, no matter how heavy the downpour is, the wobble and noise continues.

I have a new pair of wiper blades recently changed, (not under warranty though, i was asked to pay for it !) but no luck. If i need to tell this issue to SA, and he checks it, it will work properly since the issue comes only after a few minutes of drive in rain !

And this issue does not come up when i try wiping on dry windscreen with the washer liquid, it comes in only during rains !

I see some on had this kind of issue and the TASS had agreed to change the wiper arm under warranty, had that fixed the issue? Does anyone face the same problem?

thx
    Narayan
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    One thing is disturbing me from the first date of purchase of FGt & VGT that when we shift gears of GP, on each time of shifting I get specific feeling of notchy feeling.
    Enclosing herewith drawing of irritating gearshifting of GP. Sorry for bad drawing.

Red point of bad feeling. Green point is acceptable because reverse gear is not synchronised.

If all forward gears are fully synchronised then why specific type of notchy feeling is there while shifting forward gears ? :thumbs down

I experinced this 3rd class gearshift experience even I had replaced clutch assly of my old FGT car.

Now my new VGT car is also giving this type of bad gearshift quality.

As all know DDiS has more NVH but gearshift quality is top class in its class.
    I have discovered the cause of this type of bad gearshift quality by observing gearshift mechanism of DDiS.

But I will update later. Because as usual TFI is inaccible from home pc.
    Is there anyone who can put more light on this issue.

punto gears.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    bhai you don't need to do PHD on fiat gear shifting everybody here knows swift have smoother shifting mechanism.

OT:- Swift is no way top class in gear shifting, try a VW Polo once
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Narayan if you are ready to try out a home remedy you can try one of this. Clean your windshield thoroughly with water , apply some tooth paste ..yes Tooth Paste on the windshield & rub it with a clean cloth. Once you start rubbing in an area, you will feel like the area gets smoother. Now try extending the rubbing strokes. You will really feel the difference between the smoothed area & the other surface. This thing had really worked on my windshield . Tooth paste also has this mild rubbing effect & this clears the pollutants stuck to your windshield. Trust me, it doesnt do any harm. Make sure you clean the windshield properly after finishing the rubbing job. I had used pepsodent for this :rolleyes: