1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I always reverse my car out of the garage first thing in the morning. My car has done 30k and no issues so far. I believe this was all due to unnecessary beliefs our elders had and nothing more.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    It is. There is no warning to this effect in Linea Owner's Handbook. I have been reversing directly after a prolonged stop without any ill effects either to my Linea or my previous MS Omni/Versa.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. eNVe

eNVe Amatore

Its tradition carried out by our elders with old school engines... AFAIK there is nothing linked to it... Another thing which is of this same sort is revving the engine before turning off... but this one clearly mentioned on the owners manual as an unnecessary stuff.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    No Guys. There is a technical string attached to it. In those days, engaging in reverse gear wasn't that smooth for the first time in the morning. If you engage it in first gear and move a little and then engage in reverse will be a smooth affair. The reason told was to match the torque setting. Not exactly sure about the technical details.

But, I don't think it is still applicable for a modern day car.
  5. I agree, many a times I get slight Kar-khar noise even though clutch is fully pressed or gear not engaging properly, but going to first and then reversing solves the issue,BTW I am not old school person:)
  6. Infact i always park my cars in first gear and at times will engage hand brake too .And even at home or office I have to reverse my car first.BTW am not much aware of technical stuffs .But I assume that parking car in first gear is a good option.Please correct me if I am wrong ..

Ajit
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Those days the gear box was different. You couldn't slot the first gear in a Premier Padmini while the car is in motion. It has to be done only after a stop. Nowadays you have syncromesh gears which will engage all gears while in motion. Hence, those days and now have no comparison. Reverse gear is basically a first gear where another counter gear comes into contact to reverse the direction.

BTW, IMO a lot of this talk has got more to do with beliefs than anything else.

Abdul
    2 people like this.
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Thanks Abdul for the explanation. Let me blast my friends with the answers today..:chair:
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this is utterly rubbish.

this was needed on old cars where the gear boxes were not synchromesh.

modern cars have synchromesh gear boxes. the syncho-cones are the hardened rings between the gears which shift seamlessly and perfectly from any gear to any gear. you can diretcly shift from 2nd to 5th and vice versa.

There is no need to put 1st gear before putting reverse gear at all.
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yes its true that all forward gears are syncromesh, but reverse gear can be different.
    source :Manual transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    also during factory visit, they explained the gearbox mechanism in similar fashion (if i understand it correctly).
    But this doesn't make it mandatory to move forward and then reverse.

--Rajeev