1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Steering Issue!

Hi All,

I got my Alignment done recently, and after a few days i have a tick-tick sound while turning the steering both ways! It sounds like a elastic fully stretched and something brushing the elastic. I got tyres checked, and the under body too, there is nothing touching anything, sometimes the sound vanishes on its own. I have my 3rd service coming up soon so wanted to get an idea what it might be, as i have a feeling when i m at the service center, the sound may not be there.

Shake
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Most probably - Elastic pad needs replacement.
    But this sound should always be there. May be more at sometime and less at sometimes.

Anyway, get it checked. Known problem.
  3. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Can you elaborate on the persistence of sound forever , does it mean that this sound would be there even after replacing elastic pads because i recently changed my elastic pads and i am experiencing the same sound .
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No no, what i meant was if elastic pad needs replacement, the steering will produce sound, always. Its not like sometimes sound is coming and sometime not.
  5. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Looks like I found the answer. The culprit is the sleeve just below the gear knob. In my car it is loose and its vibration caused the noise. I just turned the sleeve in anticlockwise direction with slight upward pressure and it got tightened. Now I am not hearing any noise.

Guys who are experiencing this noise can check the sleeve below the gear knob.

-
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have also started hearing a sound in my Punto 90HP, but it generally comes after 2K RPM and does not go away until I am off the gas. 1st I thought it was some noise from the suspension or some wheel bearing. But one day, incidentally my AC was off. The sound was gone! This sound does not come in the 2 Lineas and a Punto I have driven. Well get it checkout during the 2nd service.
  7. nitinjd

nitinjd Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    yestarday morning went to KHT service, Showed them the problem, did the test drive.... within a half an hour they solve the problem with free of charge. The problem was that the disc break was touching, d'not know more about it but very happy that problem got resolved.

Thanks to KHT moter, kundhanahalli, bangalore
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Gear Shifting

Bros' - Last week I moved my car from my office parking by reversing the gear. My friend who was sitting beside me, asked me to stop - move the car slightly in the first gear and asked me to reverse again. I was bemused and asked him why. He told that whenever we are moving the car after a prolonged stop; we should always slot the gear to first and then take reverse. Reversing in the start will damage the gear levers. Couple of other friends also acknowledged that they have heard about the practice.

It seems to be non-sensical to me. Throw some light if I am not understanding something here. :mad::mad:
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Your friends are right. But, this may not be true for the modern cars. I remember this thing being recommended by a Tata dealer for a Indica Customer 7 Years back.
    Mechanical experts can throw more light on this.
  10. asif

asif

Trivandrum
    I too heard a lot about this from elderly people.I thought that its just a bielief that one should always move a little bit in first gear before engaging reverse.i still rember one uncle saying that u should not start our journey in reverse gear,and make sure that have enough space in front of your vehicle while parking..:)