1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Karan, don't go and ask you need to replace elastic pad, tell them the problem.
    BTW, what is the problem you are facing?
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    NVH (Noise, vibration and harshness) levels in a repaired punto

Hi Guys, I had an accident in my punto an year back as a result of which the entire outer body(except hatch door, rear bumper and left rear door) were changed.

I am quite satisfied with the work done on my car except few minor and probably unavoidable niggles(i say unavoidable because the repair work is mostly manual and humans do it :)).
    One of the post repair niggles has been the NVH levels which took some time for me to realize that its little more in my car compared to other 75/76 bhp puntos. Although its difficult to quantify but i feel its atleast 30 % more than other puntos.

Though I have pretty much accepted it but I still wanted the opinion of some experts here on how it can be reduced if at all it can be.
    The info i am looking for here is which parts of the car need to be looked at for this.
    Also what are my aftermarket options like damping, underbody coating etc.. how helpful could these be?

details of the accident can be found here:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...urney-with-Punto&p=50805&viewfull=1#post50805
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey shams, even I want to reduce NVH inside my car. Love a Honda Jazz every time it passes by. It feels as if the car is coasting. Of course its a petrol car while we have diesel cars. :p

What I have found is that there are some simpler methods like:
    - That 3M underbody coating. I think they apply three layers of it.
    - Getting all four doors damped. Don't forget to change the speakers along with damping itself if you are still playing on OEM and want better music.
    - Rest of it is difficult to pull off but some insulation between engine compartment and cabin can be tried from inside if possible.
  4. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Exactly...Even i'll damp my doors with some desi materials. :D

BTW i have many bonnet insulation material...Can that help??
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Jishnu, I would advise you to use standard material for such activities.

Reason: Though I am not much into this technically but poor selection of material might turn out to be disasterous and worsen vibrations to some extent as I have heard that different material acts differently to a given range of frequencies.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    actually i already have 3M underbody coating on my car. didnt even remember that its there. it was done as part of the major repair work an yr back. had to get it inspected every 6 months till 5 yrs. will get that done some day next week.
    But inspite of it being there i feel the noise in the cabin is a bit more in my car.
    Are the door dampings effective in reducing the noise? Is it difficult to do anything in doors after the damping is done?
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    get the wurth bulk packs that are very effective in damping. they also cost very less.

door damping are the most effective way to cut off the road noise. the damping sheets can easily be removed and put back if any work inside the door like repairing the power windows etc needs to be done.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Italia-Linea.. Would be searching for these wurth bulk packs soon. Any idea how much they would cost
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    OT, why is honda jazz considered to be a reference here . My far neighborhood has one Jazz and it does sound more than maruthi wagon at average speeds. We had done side to side comparo standing at road side.I dont know how it sounds inside may be great honda refinement but this Jazz is not worth as much it is being hyped now look at the price slashdown which reveals true wolf inside the sheep skin attitude of honda, Most of the time it was high price of product gave honda a high ride in market.

@Shams,
    If it is vibrations which is worrying , you need to analyse the root cause of it.If it is engine or condenser fan or wheels etc, most of the time it is not an easy job to rectify vibrations but 60percent chances are positive.

if it is noise creeping into cabin make sure there are no additional noise from above said sources. a misaligned condenser fan can be 80 percent more noisy.

Harshness, again diesal sounds harsh.If above points are sorted it will be back into showroom conditions else you need to check the dampeners of engine bay or bushes of strut bars .

all of the above needs skilled technical assistance to analyse what you meant in real. It is not far from fact that our punto and linea can be made more sound proof with additional modifications and exotic dampening materials but cost and skill involved also counts.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Jayadev, its only cabin noise that it a bit more in my punto. have compared it with another punto with its bonnet open. standing outside the noise was exactly same in both cars. Its only inside the cabin that something seems to be wrong with the noise insulation features in my car.

Let me know if you have any ideas for reducing it. as in which parts to check
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011