1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Hi Jumu, Based on the feedbacks here , I guess these sounds are normal. In fact apart from these sounds , I notice that minor squeaks keep on coming and we need to ignore them.. Last week I just talked to a fellow colleague who has a Pali0 1.9D and has been pretty satisfied with it for the last i think 5-6 yrs. I just told him about the squeaks and he said "Fiat liya hai to awaazen to aayenge hen ...:)".. That said he said his Palio has been pretty reliable and you need to ignore the sounds......
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    One advice - Do NOT keep the steering wheel in the extreme-most position ( left or right) for extended periods of time. It can lead to damage of the power steering pump and rack.

Gurjinder.
  3. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    though i always keep that in mind while i drive but others do not always take such care. if this really causes problem why fiat has designed that way?? i am not sure if that really damages but that thing just doesnt sound good.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No , its not endemic only to FIAT's. Its the way power steering systems are. Definitely all the hydraulic ones.

Yes , holding the steering at the extreme positions for extended periods will do damage in the long run, no doubts about it.

Gurjinder.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    +1 to Gurjinder. Hydraulic pressure trapped in one side of pump will weaken it. Keeping it in 0-0 position is always advisable.
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    but if it really does some damage then why fiat has not put some stoppers at the end to avoid the extreme. otherwise it is sure to suffer after prolonged use no matter how much care you take.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    1.most of the noise comes from inside the door. yes there are some cables and connectors left hung freely so that it can bang against metal or window glass and sometimes it dissappears . guess what i myself opened the door panel and tied all those cables ,connectors and plastic sheet(i wonder what is the use of plastic sheet) now no more sound.

2.then there is usual sound under the dash board , it is ac pipes just behind the ICE. i pushed a cotton rag between the pipe and all those thick cables running under the dash i tied them too .and got it fixed forever.

3. then the roof light. the light assembly is very heavy with lot of cables running through it .paper trick would work as mentioned by Soccerfan but instead of paper i used some stiff cotton rags.

4. they are all minor issues ,nothing and nowhere to be suspicious about build quality or plastic quality My punto makes me feel it is built to last ...happy discovering..!!
  8. Emsworth

Emsworth Timido

NCR
    Starting problem - Punto 90hp MJD

Okay - a strange thing happened today in the evening. I pull out of my office parking lot and at the first traffic light, the engine dies. I try starting, it doesn't catch, or if it does, immediately dies down (the revs just came down to zero and the engine stopped)

I turn it off, open the hood to see if the intercooler air intake is attached (It came off once - rather mysteriously) but everything seems fine.

Get back in, try starting, and all's well - engine catches, and runs like normal.

Any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Fuel? I was down to less than a quarter tank and the last time I'd filled diesel (I have a 90hp Punto) was at a small pump near the Noida-Delhi border - I usually try and fill up at CP/Lodi...

Cheers,

Emsworth
  9. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    ^^^ Remember the name of the petrol pump ???
  10. Emsworth

Emsworth Timido

NCR
    It was near Vasundhara Enclave and Noida - right next to the DDA sports complex. IBP. Filled petrol here a few years ago quite a few times. Never had trouble.

I'd filled up there a week back, and was down to less than a quarter IIRC - the Range was 121km.

Can't blame the bunk yet - this just might be yet another Fiat gremlin...

The car's been running fine since. Filled up soon after the stalling incident at the pump near Pragati Maidan...