1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. New Car Issues- Suspension Noise with sleeves being fit

Hello everyone,

I've just posted my introduction in the thread a few weeks back. As I'd explained, I was a new owner and the Punto was my first car. I'm still very much in love with it, so rest assured I'm very forgiving of niggles. But an issue has popped up which has raised a few questions.

I purchased my car (Pearl White, Emotion, 76 PS) from KHT Fiat Caffe. Now as is typical in Bangalore, I'd gotten a scratch on the rear bumper (right corner) and a tiny dent on the left front fender. Since they were quite ugly on the white body and even though everyone advised me to wait (for more scratches to accumulate :confused1 ), I though of getting it fixed.

Now here, instead of going to KHT Fiat for repairs (their service centre being in Whitefield, Bangalore), I opted to go to Vecto Motors. Vecto have opened a new service centre on Mysore Road which actually ends up being walking distance from my workplace.

Long story short, I left the car in the morning, and I received it in good condition with the repairs and repaint taken care of. I was happy with it.

Problems started the next day and this might be a coincidence, but the car had been trouble free till then. :(
    ----

The next morning on the way to work, I could feel a rattling and a slight thud in the suspension every time I hit unlevel road/potholes/speed bumps. First it sounded from the rear right, but then it seemed to be from the front right side. After some distance it was just the rattling

Took it straight to the same service centre, where just driving it around inside the service centre area confirmed the problem to the head engineer. He first suggested it might be the notorious link rod getting loose. However tightening that made no effect and the noise persisted. He then talked about how they need to fit a sleeve and asked me to drop the car off and collect it in the evening. I did, and sure enough the noise no longer existed. It's been 2 weeks since and I've had no complaints with suspension noise.

But here's the questions I have:

1. The Service head did mention that typically sleeves are put in cars after it's run some distance ~30-40k km. My car had not even completed 2000 kms in the time it took for this problem to start. Now my father who is far more of a car expert, said sleeves are put in for worn parts, and if so Fiat should instead replace the entire part rather than putting in a sleeve. Can anyone confirm this? I'm new to cars, I don't even know what a sleeve is and how it helps with a suspension operation.

2. I'm suspicious because the car was right as rain, till I gave it to Vecto for a repaint job. The very next day is when this problem started. I've heard horror stories of ASS doing crazy things, but is there a need to freak out yet?

3. My driving style is usually sedate. My revs are upto 2500 rpm at max in any gear. However the road I take to work has a stretch off Kanakpura where it is broken tarmac with craters. I approach it very carefully and have not touched bottom except once a long time ago. Could the matter have been as simple as some loose stones and gravel in the suspension unit?

I'm new to cars as such, though very passionate about them. I know little of their mechanical underpinnings. I hope someone can advise me here.

As a last query, is there a final verdict on FASS in Bangalore? Vecto or KHT? Vecto is convenient, but KHT I already have the intro to Mr. Sharanappa and have even spoken to him a couple of times.

In the forum, I hear mixed opinions mostly. :)
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Where exactly was it installed any pics haven't heard of any such part in suspension setup.
  3. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Getting rattles from rear seat lock (left side) when going over moderately big potholes - happening for the last 14000KMs (my car has completed 24K over the last 1.5 yrs). I saw similar issues posted by fellow TFIans in the forum - but with no resolutions posted. Wanted to know if any of us got the issue resolved. If so what was exactly done to fix the issue? - is it rear seat lock replacement? or is it an issue with rear seat hinge/dimensions/lock placement on the seat? Please help.

Regards,
    Vinod.
  4. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Could anyone let me know please? I have the issue unresolved and applying insulation tape is not going to help here and currently this is done already. I'm planning to visit Vecto motors and get this resolved on coming Saturday. Your feedback will be invaluable.

Regards,
    Vinod.
  5. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    I had the same issue. The problem begin for me after I had fitted seat covers outside FASS. Some thing went wrong after seat cover install and started getting rattle noise from rear left door side. FASS fixed the issue by refitting the seats and with insulation tape on rod where its getting locked. No rattles since then.
  6. Satish Devan

Satish Devan Timido

Bangalore
    Hello all. Thanks for helping me earlier. As Shashank indicated it was indeed an issue with the engine guard. Fiat service guys said that engine guard was beyond dent removal and it had to be replaced. It costed 2400 including the labour charge. ***Need help again folks. While moving in reverse gear, some strange noise while leaving the clutch. Especially if i leave the cluth rapidly. Its not a major concern for now. one thing thats worrying my now is when the steering is fully turned in either direction, the same metal scrapping noise is coming(well not exactly same, its kinda loud this time).obviously i'll be in first gear witht he steering is fully turned. No noise if the steering is not fully turned. The noise is pretty loud. Is the engineer guard culprit again here? My driving is mostly in city driving and i might have hit the bottom again. Anyways, wanted to check with you all if i have to check anything else. Sheshank, thank you again.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Check steering rack, engine guard, ball joints and CV joints.
  8. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You could also have a look if any of the fender linings has gone loose and is touching the tyres. Specially if you feel the noise while turning the steering to one side.
  9. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Is that metal scrapping noise it metal hitting noise?
    If it is the later, I had similar issue in my Linea and the culprit was Power Steering pipe inside the hood, touching with the body side member.
  10. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks krismask. Today I went and got the seat lock changed under warranty. The lock was very flimsy compared to the right side seat lock. The rattle got minimized substantially. But I still get the same "thud" sound when going over large pot holes or rough roads. Planning to meddle with some insulation tape tomorrow and if still not got fixed, will go for seat refitting with FASS. Thanks again! :)