1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3

One month since this post, will someone be kind enough to please reply to my queries regarding the rattling sounds in my Punto.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    I assume this happens only when the window is half open??? The SC can fix this, they lubricated mine i think.

Get the door panel opened and check if anything is loose, May be the speaker is moving or the lock mechanism wire is touching the metal surface.. Although you say the noise is from the door, i believe this might be from the rear seat lock. If that is the case, just unlock the seat and wrap Insulation tape around the lock hinge and lock back the seat.

This is not an issue, it is normal behavior of the suspension on the Punto and happens when the rear goes airborne when you hit a pothole/bump and the springs relax suddenly. Everyone Punto's has this thud noise.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. Shivam

Shivam Amatore

Ludhiana
    Will spraying some anti rust or WD-40 at the rubber bushings or ball joints help???
  4. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Depends on what got broken. The lamp is held by a small notch in the bumper (to the LHS of lamp), if that's broken, it needs to be glued and then the lamp needs to be supported along with the screw in RHS of the lamp.
    This is very much fixable. Refer my thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/exteriors-body/9704-reversing-lamp-dislodged-reflector-broken.html
  5. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    2 rattles: one fixed, one diagnosed

Two rattles : One solved, the other diagnosed, but yet to be solved

Friends:

There had been a persistent rattle from the rear central and the rear left of my GP 1.2 Dynamic. Despite countless visits to the ASS, headbanging, kilometers of test drives, they could not resolve it! However, I solved one of them. The other has been diagnosed, but a medicine is yet to be found LOL.gif .

1) Rear central: It is the boot door. Despite several adjustments of the latch mechanism/strike plate/tape around the hook, it didn't really work. But then, if you lift the boot, and at the 2 extreme corners you find 2 rubber stops. Now, these are rotatable and adjustable!!

STEPS TO MINIMIZE/ELIMINATE BOOT RATTLE:

1) Screw these rubber stops tight, totally clockwise.
    2) Release the boot and the boot will lock easily.
    3) Open the boot again. Unscrew the stops by half a turn on both the ends
    4) Drop the boot: it will lock by itself again
    5) Repeat the steps TILL the boot does not lock on its own after dropping and you need to apply a firm but gentle pressure to lock it.
    6) Take a test drive, and hopefully the boot rattle will be gone. In may case, about 1.5 turns were required, on both the sides. In a friends case, about 2 turns on the left and 1.5 turns on the right. Yes, there might be a skew. You need to find that out by trial and error. This has to be checked every 15 days or so.

2) The rear left rattle:

I was fearing the worst, a weak spot weld or whatever. One fine day, while cleaning the car and all, the rear left side seat lock got disengaged. I did not notice it nor did I lock it again. When I took a drive later on, boy, was I happy? There were no rattles at all. Is it magic?

I had to brake suddenly, and the seat rolls over to the front. I park the car, lock the seat up again. (Mind you, ASS has put 3-4 layers of STEELGRIP over the lock pin already) When I resume driving: oh no, the rattle is back! End of peace!

War begins: I disengage the seat again, the rattle is gone! I repeat this over the same stretch of road, at least 15 times over 2-3 days. IT IS THE SEAT LOCK mechanism, or something related to the rear larger seat,for sure, but WHY? It is as snug as it can be, when upright and locked. In fact I put 3 more layers of tape, and the lock has to be actually forced to engage properly, but still there is this rattle. Like some body hitting the metal plate with a pencil, randomly. I release the seat lock, voila, rattle vanishes! Any medicine Please.gif ? What is the seat banging/hitting against? It reduces if somebody is seated on the rear seat, if this helps! Special thanks to TFI member nitinkumardba for road tests!
  6. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    Squeaks during steering turn

Hi All,

Today, after driving for 40 kms, I was just entering my office when I heard squeaking sound during a sharp turn. During parking the car, I felt the same thing. In initially thought that there is some stone or a foreign object which is causing this. I left is as is and went to work.
    In the evening, while returning, I heard the same sound with a higher intensity. Then I decided to get it checked and drove directly to Vecto. The SA examined and found that the steering oil was leaking and had become empty. At that time, I also found some stray sponge pieces in the bonnet and I could confer that this was because of rats. (I had to park the car at a different place for the past week.)
    The SA told me that he needs to check why the leakage had occurred and check for parts which have gone. If there is a stock, then he would change them otherwise he needs to order them. He assured me that all this would be done under warranty.

My question is if he detects that this is through rats, then will the warranty apply? What else do I need to check since he is yet to come back to me after check?
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The answer is, NO.

If Rats damaged the Pipe, the probability that they will find out is high.

I think Consumables are not covered under warranty anyway, so they might have you pay for the oil.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    But when I asked him that I may need to pay for the oil (which I was ready for) he told me that it was not required. That too will be taken care under warranty...
    I am just hoping that the damages are not to a large extent. I don't want to see my beauty damaged...
  9. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
    Latest Update
    Received a call from Vecto and I was told that the steering oil pump is damaged and that was the reason for the leakage. I asked him the details but he told me that they have just checked it and found it to be damaged. He will do a thorough review and get back to me.
    Regarding the replacement, the spares was closed since it was 6:00 PM and he will get back to me if the spare is available. I asked him to check with the other dealers also which he told he would and then if not available he would need to order it. He also told me that he will the belt and if there is any damage to it he will get that on warranty also. I could not understand which belt is he referring to...
    I have read innumerable posts regarding the steering issue and always found the response from you experts that it was due to some rod failure. Is mine the first case? If the spare is not available, I would need to wait for 3 days (as quoted by him):eek:
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad