1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have a Punto Dynamic MJD bought on Sept 2012. I too am facing a few issues regarding rattles.

1. Theres a constant rattling/vibrating sound from the front driver side window which gets louder on paved roads which dont have a smooth finish. Not so much in bad roads and very minimal in smooth roads.

2. Rattling sounds from the left side backdoor.

3. Loud thud from the boot when going over a big pothole or speed breaker.

4. Also the reverse light holder has broken from one side, tried sticking it with hard glue but no use. The dealership tells me that it cant be replaced as it comes with the rear bumper and it cant be bought separately, so i have to buy a new bumper. Is it true?? (Picture attached) How do i fix it?

IMG_20130712_142310.jpg
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The dealer is wrong. This can be re-fixed and there is no need to replace the bumper. I have done this in my Punto and it is fine. The casing for the reverse lamp is part of the bumper and prevents it from falling off when the flimsy, fragile plastic lock breaks.
  3. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How do you refix it as the guys at the dealer were clueless. They fixed it with those industrial type glue but it came off.
  4. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    @nkapoor777 Hey any update on this ? I am also facing a similar problem and I am not able to diagnose where the problem lies , since wobbling is much more pronounced now I am not able to drive at speeds above 80.

Note : Done Balancing multiple times , still no use .
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not at all. There is no design flaw. The Linea stays composed and vibration free well past 100kmph.

@Ranconteur

Did you try swapping wheels from some other Punto, if possible? Or even swapping tyres on your present rims.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Yes it does,but to achieve that state usually involves a lot of hit and trial.
  7. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Well I actually analyzed how both front tires rotate on a balancing machine . Neither the balancing guy nor I was able to notice any sideways movement . I seriously suspect a tire issue here but there is no visible tire wear on any of the tires. There are no suspension noises as well in the car . Swapping other car tires is the only thing which can help me diagnose the problem now .
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do one thing first and foremost : remove tyres from rims and remount again. Take a test drive and see if there is any difference.

Happened with me on a Punto.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I second Gurjinder's recommendation. After so much of usage, I doubt if the tyres' high and low spots ( marked by Yellow and Red dots ) are still visible.

Try this. Remove all the tyres from their respective rims. Do a rim / tyre rotation, so that all the tyres get mounted on rims that are different from what they are today. Get balancing and alignment done.

Hope this helps.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I got my front original shockers changed and the vibrations has decreased considerably and good improvement in handling.The original shockers lasted me for 73000 kms.
    I also feel improvement in the height after the change to new shockers.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013