1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Vishnu, did you get this checked?
    Its very annoying to hear the noise from inside the speedo console.
    Holding the cover glass didnt seem to rectify the issue in my case also.

Any DIY could be done opening the speedo console or opening the cover will make things worse??
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It was found that the screw that holds the console glass is making the noise.At first i couldnt make out ,when i pressed the glass with considerable force,the rattling is gone..:)..my car is very near to the 15k mark..hoping to rectify in the service..jst try pushing with little more force than u used to give..it could be the reason..jst recheck once again.

- - - Merged Post - - -

It was found that the screw that holds the console glass is making the noise.At first i couldnt make out ,when i pressed the glass with considerable force,the rattling is gone..:)..my car is very near to the 15k mark..hoping to rectify in the service..jst try pushing with little more force than u used to give..it could be the reason..jst recheck once again.
  3. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Chennai
    Hi, I could hear some thud noise in front shocks when I driving on a small speed breaker @ 15-20 km/h, is it worry able?
  4. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Steering vibrations at speeds over 80 kmph!

I am facing this peculiar problem with my T-jet. The steering has developed vibrations / wobbling at speeds in excess of 80 kmph. The wobbling stays till 120 kmph, post which it lessens a great deal (probably due to the fact that the steering is designed to get harder at those high speeds and masks vibrations to a great extent). The wobbling is clearly visible to the naked eye and not just felt when the steering is held.

Now before you guys start recommending any solutions, here is the list of diagnoses till date:

1. Wheel Alignment and Balancing - Done three different times in total including once at exclusive Fiat service center and trusted third party shops twice (they cater to my other cars including the Punto and I've never had any issues with WA or WB).

2. Rims (stock) checked for damages / cracks - No damage found on any of the rims.

3. Tyres (stock 205/55/16) - visual inspection done to locate any cracks or bulges - none found.

4. Brakes (pads and discs) - No issues found with either.

Neither me nor the service center (Kashyap Fiat, Noida) are able to figure out the cause of this. Our next course of action is to actually open up the front suspension and check for any issues. But before I do this, I will ask Kashyap Fiat to swap the wheels from a TD Linea at their showroom to completely rule out tyre/rim issue.

Is there anything we are missing that could be causing this? Help needed.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes Nitin sirji, first and foremost plan of attack - swap all 4 tyres from a known no issue Linea. Only then will anyone be able to rule out your present set of wheels+tires as source of issue.

Did you check all four wheels were properly tightened? Long shot but happened with me on the Palio.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    during wheel balancing did you get to see the values obtained per wheel.
    Generally after adding weights if the balancing machine reads anywhere between 4-0 then you should be good to go.
    A reading of "0" is suppose to be perfect and "4" is acceptable. How close were your wheels?

Next is ofcourse what gurjinder has said . Hopefully its nothing major.
  7. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    The same issue has cropped up in my TJet too , recently. Will have to get the balancing checked to rule out issues on that front. Same symptoms - steering wobbling at 80 kmph.

But in my case the wobbling does not happen everytime (at 80 kmph). Have felt it a couple of times on NH8 and pretty much on the same stretch. Could it have anything to do with the road surface .. or even cross winds ?
  8. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    Guys

Mine is a new Linea MJD, Post 100kmph I feel similar vibration overall and definitely in Steering

3500kms on Odo and I haven't crossed speed of 120 yet as I feel engine is not ready or allowing me to push further

Planning to stick @ 100kmph till 5000 km service and probably will change engine oil

Any suggestion to go to which service for first service ?
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    hope you have checked for uneven wear of tyres also. if they have worn unevenly, balancing/alignment won't help with the same tyres.

A friend had this issue in his punto where the front tyres had worn out from inside due to incorrect alignment. as a result his steering used to wobble at speeds > 80. km reading was around 15k. tyres were changed at SC in warranty with 50% cost borne by my friend since they had already run 15k. after this alignment/balancing was done post which the issue was solved.
  10. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Which tire you car dons ? Is it Apollo Accelere ? Lately I have also found this problem in my Punto . The tires requiring balancing often to reduce the steering wobbling . Vibrations at speed in excess of 80km/hr is most probably the balancing issue .