1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Macky, did you hear anything from TASS, what's the main cause for this problem?

Today I observed that noise comes even the car is stand still and just by raising the acceleration.
    When the rpm pointer starts raising from 15 to 20K noise is much audible, below 15 and above 20 no noise.
  2. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    halfclutch - Are these resolved now? Mine was resolved when I had given my car for the 3rd service, though I never mentioned it to the SA, I guess they took care of it themselves ;)
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    I have had this issue repetitively on my 90. On 3rd Pair of Rotors right now and pretty sure i'll need the 4th pair soon.

I had heavy steering vibrations on gentle braking (Does not happen on hard braking, only vibrates when we give a gentle tap on the brake to slow down) after my car did around 16K kms. I thought it was normal until 20k Kms when someone pointed out that it was not normal.

Reported to TASS, they diagnosed that the issue was Rotors and pads and denied warranty replacement since i already clocked 20K. I was in a hurry and had to go on a long drive the next day, so did not argue. Got both the rotors and Pads replaced (paid). All was well for 4-5 months until the South India Meet Ooty trip. The Steering vibration appeared again while returning.

Went in straight to TASS the next day, ODO stood at 33k i.e 13K within 5 months of the last replacement. TASS had no clue about my last replacement and said the WorkSHOP team lead said "Saar, it's an issue with the Rotors, since you have clocked 33k already get it replaced". I asked him to go check his records and see when i got it replaced last. He checked and was biting his nails for a while. Then some arguments with the Warranty people and they agreed to change the Rotors again. Upon changing the rotors the issue dissapeared. They never were able to give me proper reasoning for why this is happening again and again.

Now again 3 Months since the last replacement and 9K Kms. ODO stands at 42K. I feel very slight vibrations again. I'l pay them a visit again shortly since my car is due for 4th service anyway. I'll push for change of Callipers etc too this time since this is happening repeatedly. No clue why it is happening though. Getting prepared for arguments again since they might deny warranty of Callipers stating silly reasons that i have colored it to RED etc. Anyway lets see how it goes. The vibrations are very less right now. I have to work hard and make sure they are noticeable within the next 3 months and then pester them.

VJ
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    If there is vibration on gentle braking its the brake pads and not the rotors. Get them cleaned and polished and this shuddering shall go. Clean calipers too and grease them.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Dont spend any more money without diagnosing the issue properly. Get second opinion from good authorised private garages whose chief could be very good mechanics too and they kind of survive by giving uncompolicated quick fixes which is the reason that they get bonded with their customers. It could be anything to do with the suspension too or the caliper assy which could be expensive again
    At best , pls write to FIAT and ask them to diagnose the issue and fight for warranty as what is happening on your car is unusual. If the issue resolves with Italia lineas recomendation and the car is stable for a longer time, then you can still fight for wrong replacements. Take up the issue strongly for both and you may end up getting at least one relief.

Abdul
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Steering juddering on braking

I had the same issue and it seems to have reduced a lot after wheel alignment and balancing.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Check your discs. If these are uneven marks then this will affect on steering.
    Better way rectify asap.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    One thing that is clear is that the root cause is not the just the pads or disc but some thing else because of which the pads-disc contact get a periodic behaviors, since the problem appeared even after the replacement of both. From the description it looks like hot judder which occur while reducing speed from higher speed with soft brake. One reason is the hot spots, which induce periodic motions(vibration).This is one possible reason. I strongly suspect there is some problem with the fitting of calipers or related components that give rise to generation of the hot spots or the similar phenomena that cause periodic motion.

Before insisting a blind replacement please write to fiat clearly mentioning that the parts have replaced already and same phenomena occur. They will be then able to coordinate with the TASS people to find the root cause. The stress on the mail should be on the issue and its periodic appearance and avoid any complain tones about TASS, FIAT and Warranty issue in first mail which will hide the main focus of the mail.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    What ?:shocked

generally rotors are changed rarely you seem to be changing it at the frequency of brake pads.. Is TASS suggesting you to get it changed or what?

- - - Merged Post - - -

On another note , Even i've started to feel some shuddering on braking lately and i've done about 37Kms.
    The mechanic has hinted at a possible rotor problem and suggested i change the rotor..
    So here is my query..

I"ve a set of Magnetti marelli brake pads that has done about 10K and looks like its good to go for another 30-35K at least.
    So would changing the rotors alone help me here? or should i just wait it out ..
    I'm not too keen on waiting for another 30k to change both the rotors and pads.. Please suggest a solution?
    Does facing the rotors help here? does it cause any damage to the integrity of the rotors (I've been told to not get facing done)
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Thanks for the replies Guys. FYI, I have paid for the Rotors and Pads only once at 20K since i was in a Hurry then. The remaining replacements are all Warranty.

Since this is the 3rd time the same issue seems to be appearing, i'll make sure i get it resolved once and for all. Right now, the vibrations are only faint so i do not have a strong point. I'll wait for another month or so before reporting since i'll not be able to demonstrate to them confidently now. Sungoa- thanks for the insight, sounds logical, I'll start with mailing FIAT when i am ready to get onto them.

I do not think this is related to allignment/Suspension since the Vehicle does not Shudder or vibrate even at very high speeds of over 150Kmph. The Steering only vibrates upon slight braking , so it definitely ought to be an issue with the braking system IMO.

Also it dissapears every time the Disc's/Rotors are changed, so definitely not any other issue.