1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Squeaks, Rattles and niggles

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cliffhanger, Jun 3, 2010.

1. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Guyz..

Off late I hear a slight "whooooo" sound when I take a 90 degree left or right turn...i.e when I rotate steering wheel to left & right extreme...

What sound is this..??Any expert suggestions..opinions???
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Yes !!
    I had this high pitch whistling sound 3-4 times in 1st 2 years in my Linea 1.4 Petrol (no turbo). It came only during heavy rains. Every time the whistle suddenly started when the car was idling. Turning off the engine and again turning it ON removed the noise. Never able to diagnosed how it came. Even asked SA twice, obviously they did not know.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Vahanpujari - Due to moistre & water on belts. Or faulty belt.

@ Varin
    Thanks for giving reply. I will take print-out & show Tata ASS. Now I have put finger crossed to solve my problem of excessive lag at lower RPM but no ecu error. I sold off my former 75 HP due to this irritating problem.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I was also facing power loss in low gears especially in first and more with AC being switched on.Now the loss is gone after turbo (more culprit) and timing chain change.No sound now.I also got EGR cleant, it was filled with carbon and there was sludge.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    The whistling noise didn't appear since last 2 monsoons.
  6. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    I have also observed a similar whistling sound in our Jet, for the past six months. The sound comes while idling. Theres a slight variation in the sound on pressing the accelerator. It wasn't there when the car was new.

On pointing out this noise during the second service, the SA said its normal.

Hope theres nothing wrong with the turbo.
  7. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore

Can someone please respond on quote...
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Whistling sound while idling.I tested a T jet for any noise from Turbo for comparison .There was no whistling sound from engine or the Turbo.you should it checked.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I also faced the lag problem in lower gears and it used to increase when AC gets switched on.now the lag is gone after Turbo change.but I also got the timing chain changed as per schedule of 60000 kms and got EGR cleant.U can feel lad even if EGR is blocked.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If EGR blocked ECU will fire error code. It's my 2nd MJD. In both MJD I got problem of excessive lag,poor low end torque,black smoke & specific whinning noise but no ecu error.

@ Prakhar I am also getting slight variation of sound on rotating steering wheel. So check your turbo.
    In fact turbo of my DDiS clocked 44000 km is also showing signs of failure. Lag,poor low end torque,black smoke & whinning noise these are signs of turbo gone bad.

If whistle is there you have leaky turbo. If whinning is there there is bad internal bearing of turbo as told by varin.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

In last 2 mansoon your belts were young. Now because of old age & moistre they might have been emit this type of noise. If noise is disappearing at engine warm-up then definately noise is due to old aged belts.
  10. raj@tfi

raj@tfi

Bangalore
    I tried all possible way to fix the noise. The workshop guy even replaced the entire door lock. The noise was not there for 2 days... Its back again now.... We have put a gum like think paste between the metal sheets and also inserted rubber blocks between sheets... but now again same noise ...