1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1.Driving at higher speeds on highways with the Windows rolled up and AC on is a much wiser choice. This keeps teh Aerodynamics of teh car pretty intact. If you are moving at say 100 km/hr on the highway with your windows rolled down, the amount of air inrush entering your vehicle and disbalacing the whole stability is enoromous. It creates kind of wind forces pulling the car in all directions and lot of effort from the engine to fight the resistance to the air currents . This can really disturb the stability of your car and lower your fuel economy.
    2. On tegh issue of feeling the pull while crossing a big vehicle is something which happens due to differential in air pressures created. It's aheavy car but a safe distance needs to be maintained while crossing the big monsters. Also keeping the windows rolled up should help in such cases too. Maybe someone else in the forum can shed more light on this and how to avoid it.....drive safe
    2 people like this.
  2. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks for the valuable inputs guys,

anything here is related to wheel balancing and alignment ???
    as my punto has again started to pull left a bit.

thanks
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Get allignment6 and balancing done. Thats it ...solved
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it ? never read this before.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Majority of punto owners have left pull.Get into the habbit and treat this as safety feature.
  5. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello,
    This effect is due to increased speed of your car.Suppose your car and a heavy truck are travelling in same direction at high speeds(over 100kmph).Now through the space between car and truck, air is speeding back at the same speed so that the air pressure in that region is decreased.9Refer bernouli's principle)This reduction in pressure in this region compared to the other side of your car makes your car to be pulled towards the truck.Surely,this effect will be more if your cars weight is less.It is very dangerous to drive at express highways where ,even trucks will be moving over 100kmph.Usually for express highway trips, we have to use heavy cars.That is why I have purchased a FIAT LINEA.

Bernouilli's principle also tells us why windows tend to explode, rather than implode in hurricanes: the very high speed of the air just outside the window causes the pressure just outside to be much less than the pressure inside, where the air is still. The difference in force pushes the windows outward, and hence explode. If you know that a hurricane is coming it is therefore better to open as many windows as possible, to equalize the pressure inside and out.
    Another example of Bernoulli's principle at work is in the lift of aircraft wings and the motion of ``curve balls'' in baseball. In both cases the design is such as to create a speed differential of the flowing air past the object on the top and the bottom - for aircraft wings this comes from the movement of the flaps, and for the baseball it is the presence of ridges. Such a speed differential leads to a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object, resulting in a net force being exerted, either upwards or downwards. This is illustrated in the following figure.

img112.gif
    3 people like this.
  6. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Guys , what's the difference between "Filtering Element"and Äir FIlter"?I find both listed in the bill from the service I did last week. Sorry about the poor pic quality.

IMG_20140619_180311-1.jpg
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Filtering Element must be the AC/pollen filter under the glove box. My wild guess. :)
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I thought FIAT had stopped using the pollen filter and now using a wiremesh filter instead.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Filtering element is engine air filter while air filter is pollen filter.
    Fiat have now again started using pollen filter after split up with Tata.
    3 people like this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    You cant avoid it, be it with windows open or windows closed. I have always faced the same phenomenon. Whenever a big bug like volvo overtakes you in high speed you feel as if your car is initially pushed and then kind of sucked when the vehicles passes
    1 person likes this.